Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5th Axis Machine Limits

Guess_who

Hi all. I haven't posted much lately but I am a frequent visitor.

My Issue: I am running an impeller on a 5 axis horizontal Jidic HD5. But I am limited on my -Y- axis to -2.000 max. My -A- axis is perpendicular the spindle and my -B- axis is rotates around the -Z-. Hopefully everyone can get what I mean.

Anyway

The 5th axis operations I don’t have an issue because I can give axis limitations in the parameters of the operation, but simple 2d pocketing or surfacing, there is no option for this.

I have tried putting limits in the machine configuration as well as in the pst file, but neither have any effect on the code output. I have also tried rotating the -B- 180 degrees so that the -Y- will be +, but because I am perpendicular the spindle, Mastercam just leaves the -B- at 0 (which is a big complaint of mine). Mastercam should take my -B- to whatever angle I want.

Does anyone have any ideas to keep my -Y- axis from going more that -2.000 ( and moving the part off centerline is not an option.

Thanks all

Ray

Just for clarity,

You would like to make a 2D toolpath (contour/pocket/drill.... whatever)

The geo you need to toolpath is below your machines Y axis limit.

You would like Mcam to know this Y value is not valid and compensate for this by rotating the part 180 deg...

Yes, I think that would be great. I know there are a few work arounds, like rotating my geo and fat finger a B180 in the code, but I guess I was just thinking that MC should be smart enough to realize that I have only Y-2.0 and by rotating to B180 it could do the path without violating the Y. There are machine limits in the machine definition and in the post but neither one does anything for X, Y, and Z. They do work well for A, B, and C however.

BTW - I did just find a fairly simple work-around. Luckily my machine can position to A.00001, so as long as I'm not at A0, the -B- axis will go whereever I tell it.