Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Roughing Round A286

Manuel0822

Any ideas how to rough this material? Stock is 2" Round sticking out 4.25" on 4th axis. See pic attached. Tried both insert facemill using rep recommendations, no luck, had best results using solid carbide endmill & HST type cutting but I don't really like tool life results.

Any recommendations as far as Speeds & feeds?

Thanks.

30 sfm is recommened for HSS

IIRC I was running 125sfm with Iscar inserts. Haven't cut it in a couple years though

What condition was it heat treated to?

Iscar's IC308 is one of thr toughest grade for that matérial

but it'a a nasty stuff to cut , especially on a milling

on a lathe is not that terrible due to the constant cut

Thanks for the help guys, but Unfortunately we are trying to mill it here and as this was our first time cutting it we didn't know what to expect. We haven't got any real good results as of now with insert cutters but are getting thru with solid carbide endmills which we still want to improve tool life. Biggest issue on insert cutters is on the cycle time and also tool life, had some reps from Iscar & Ingersoll but didn't really worked out that good. We just can't keep on trying much thought since we have to deliver next week and still have some 60 parts to go.

Any recommendations on carbide roughers? Thinking that possibly the smaller chips will make for less stress & heat to be generated during the cut. Material seems to be in anneadled condition.

Well That's about on the same values I started with, but didn't really worked out as well, my biggest problem seems to be the rigidity of the stock as I can't really go around the part. Again, my stock is 2" Round sticking out 4.25" on 4th axis and need to take the material off the sides of the shape shown on the pic above. We do this type of cut quite fast and easy on other stainless grades but this A-286.

I tried those values going accross but the interrupted cut wasn't really good on the tool. Let me see if I can get some of those dataflutes and give them another try on your cutting conditions. I'll post the results.

Thanks.