Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tapping 304 SS

Guhring drills and Taps. RollForm at 65% if you can, use tapping fluid!

we tap around 1000 to 2000 holes in 304 per week 10-32 to 1 1/4-7 in SS304 plates

Jokisch Allroundpaste 897 CF is by far the best product for taping SS304 and OSG taps are the one that we get great result

Titex A3385TFL

S2050 (138 sfm)

F5.13 (.0025 ipr)

G81

Thru Spindle Coolant

Cuts like butter.

Taps, not sure... We normally threadmill.

HTH

I've been researching Titex drills a bit. The one you mentioned is listed as an "Oil-Feed" drill. Can you explain what that means exactly? Also, what type of thread mill do you use for threads smaller than 1/2"? Also, I don't have thru coolant on the particular machine these parts will be running in. Thanks

I've been researching Titex drills a bit. The one you mentioned is listed as an "Oil-Feed" drill. Can you explain what that means exactly? Also, what type of thread mill do you use for threads smaller than 1/2"? Also, I don't have thru coolant on the particular machine these parts will be running in. Thanks

Another question. I just went to Walter's website and used the drill selector tool that asks for the application information. They recommend a A1249XPL drill. It is a coated HSS drill. Anyone have any experience with this tool or the drill selector on Walter's website?

Oil-Feed is their term for thru-tool coolant. Since you don't have thru-tool coolant, use this:

A3965TFT-6.5 (6.5MM)

S1955 (131sfm)

F4.89 (.0025 ipr)

HTH

Another question. I just went to Walter's website and used the drill selector tool that asks for the application information. They recommend a A1249XPL drill. It is a coated HSS drill. Anyone have any experience with this tool or the drill selector on Walter's website?

This drill is too long for this hole. It is for 7-8 times diameter. It would work, but use a shorter one.

OSG EX-SUS-Gold drills will simply kill any carbide drills , they simply live forever in 304,

S800 (53.6 sfm)

F4. (.005 ipr)

G83 peck cycle

(1) The indicated speeds and feeds are for drilling with water soluble oil.

(2) The most suitable cutting fluid is water-emulsifiable high density oil (less than 10 times dilution).

(3) For drilling cast surfaces, reduce drilling speed by 20%.

(4) Step feeding is required for drilling depth >4D.

(5) When using non-water soluble oil or water emulsifiable oil (over 10 times dilution), reduce drilling speed by 20%.

Drilling Depth coefficient for reducing RPM:

x0.9 x0.8 x0.8

≤4D ≤5D ≤6D

Yes, these work, but are way more complicated to dial in. (JMHO)

I need another suggestion. The distributer I contacted says they can only find two and they are in Europe.

Titex availability has been an issue recently.

I have information on a new drill product by Widia, but have not tried it yet. It is called a 'VariDrill'. I have compared speed and feed recommendations against Titex, and they are 40% more aggressive in feed than Titex. Plus they are about 40% cheaper than Titex.

I have every intention of trying them out.

If you want to try them out, please share results...

VariDrill Listing