Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Easy way to copy Configuration settings?

Dontech

Hi all.

Our shop here has two PCs running Mcam X MR1 which is great and all but the configuration settings were done by two different people over widely separated spans of time and thus, the two setups have a lot of annoying differences. To make matters worse, I've just done a fresh install on a third PC., The one I use is the main one, while the other two are for my assistant programmer and for a training setup, so I'd like all three PCs to have the same setup as my own for obvious reasons (colors, file paths, buttons in the dock, etc) . but it would be really tedious to do all of that over again one setting at a time.

Is there a quick & dirty cheat or workaround, such as a config folder I could copy & paste into the other two Mcam directories to make all three look and work the same? The PCs are all the same from a technicals standpoint, if that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance for any tips or insight, guys.

Rob.

Hi all.

Our shop here has two PCs running Mcam X MR1 which is great and all but the configuration settings were done by two different people over widely separated spans of time and thus, the two setups have a lot of annoying differences. To make matters worse, I've just done a fresh install on a third PC., The one I use is the main one, while the other two are for my assistant programmer and for a training setup, so I'd like all three PCs to have the same setup as my own for obvious reasons (colors, file paths, buttons in the dock, etc) . but it would be really tedious to do all of that over again one setting at a time.

Is there a quick & dirty cheat or workaround, such as a config folder I could copy & paste into the other two Mcam directories to make all three look and work the same? The PCs are all the same from a technicals standpoint, if that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance for any tips or insight, guys.

Rob.

In X MR1

It is likely installed in

C:\mcamx

If so, then go into

C:\mcamx\config

you can copy the mcamx.config and mastercam.mtb to the new system.

That will take the config settings and toolbar settings along.

If your pathing is different you may have to adjust that after copying.

in X5 it is not always cut and dry to copy the config files. As it is kept in the user account, there are different path based on different users logins on different systems.

If all of your systems are the same version of Mastercam...

On the "source" system run -> Help - Zip2Go Utility.

It will (in addition of other items) gather up all of the "config" type files; .config, .mtb, .kmp

Now you can extract them (Note: a .Z2G is just a .ZIP file) into the appropriate folder on your "target" system(s).

*I would actually back up the "target" systems first using Zip2Go,

that way if something goes wrong you can at least get back to the previous known setup on that system.

I've mentioned and posted about using Zip2Go as a "config backup" method several times over the years.

It helps with those mornings when...

"Those @#*^!& on the 2nd shift messed up my Mastercam configuration setup!!!"

My apologies to the 2nd shift crew. I know that it's not always your fault. ;)