Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Splines to lines & arcs

relax1

If you have arcs that should be circles or straight splines that should be lines, you can use Edit >> Simplify

More complex geometry you'll need to use Edit >> Trim/Break Many pieces and choose between the line/arc settings

If you have arcs that should be circles or straight splines that should be lines, you can use Edit >> Simplify

More complex geometry you'll need to use Edit >> Trim/Break Many pieces and choose between the line/arc settings

Here is the file with the splines that I’m converting to arcs and lines. Normally on MC9 you would modify break into lines and arcs .. Specify tolerance and minimum arc size and geometry is created.

On MX5 when I edit using simplify it ask for spline and tolerance. Now after selecting nothing happens.

Using the Trim/Break Many pieces the ribbon bar shows a lot of options such as: exact distance, rounded distance, number tolerance, curves & lines. I was able to break in small lines and arcs , but not into larger arcs and line segments.

Can anyone show me the exact procedure?

Thanks

Luis

Luis,

Choose Edit, Trim/Break, Break Many Pieces. Select the spline.

Now input the length of the lines/arc segment you want. The larger the value the more disfigured the lines/arc will be to the original spline because it will create less arcs/lines.

When i do this is always broken into lines segments specified , but not arc.

Here is an exercise I did with spline curves.

1)created one ½” circle

2)using the create/ spline/ curve /menu changed the circle to a spline

3)using the edit /simplify/menu spline was change back to a circle

Now I created to circles joined them with lines and created a spline. Then I tried using the simplify menu and was not able to change back to original geometry.

Whats the problem?

Here is my file attached.