Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma LT200-MY lathe

Hi Guys, the boss man is asking me to have a look at an Okuma LT200-MY lathe for our shop. It has twin spindles, twin turret and y-axis. The machine is a 2007 but supposedly has only about 160 hours of chip cutting on it. The story goes that a new shop was set up just before the economy tanked and went into receivership. The tool supplier bought the whole shop lock stock and barrel and this is one of the machines. Price is good so I'm going to Edmonton on Thursday to have a look at it.

Do any of you have experience with these lathes? Any pro's or con's to consider?

What are some things you would be looking for such as evidence of a crash, checking alignment etc.

I am told the machine has power to it so I'll get them to do a bit of cutting for me like an offset hole using polar notching and or the Y axis to check the roundness of the hole.

Lay some ideas on me.

I'm guessing mastercam's MTM capabilities will have us looking for solutions. At least we are a fairly small shop and only have two seats so a change would not be too financially devastating.

We have the Okuma-MPmaster 4 axis lathe post from Inhouse here. It is actually really decent. It puts out good code and does canned cycles correctly. The only thing you need to add manually is your wait/sync codes. Also It does not pinch turn.

We also have Esprit here and I use it often for LT programming. I like the full simulation and pinch turning capabilities.

I probably use Mastercam more because I know it so well that it is faster for most stuff. When I need to have a nice flashy machine simulation for a sales meeting I will use Esprit.

I'm guessing mastercam's MTM capabilities will have us looking for solutions

I just spit my Coke on the monitor, Phil, thanks

I program our LT as [2] "regular lathes" and paste the code together; it works, but it is not as fast as it would be if the software actually worked

C

I just spit my Coke on the monitor, Phil, thanks

I program our LT as [2] "regular lathes" and paste the code together; it works, but it is not as fast as it would be if the software actually worked

C

Sorry about that Chris. thumbup.gif

I went, to the land of -17C, this past weekend to check the machine out. It looks pretty good. Checked out the run time monitor and low and behold 140 hours run time 115 hours in the cut. The inside was nice and clean, ie. no paint chipped. Checked alignments all seemed good. Most M codes control something other than what I'm used to.

I think the bossman wants it.

We'll see.

Maybe I'll be challenged at work once again.

I cannot even begin to think what that would be like!

Greg, I left just in time yesterday was -24C and today with windchill it'll be -40C. Exposed skin starts to freeze in less than a minute.

Hey, old ReDeYeS, do you miss Edmonton now?

Chris, I'm betting I'll be giving you a call if the machine comes.

I left just in time yesterday was -24C and today with windchill it'll be -40C. Exposed skin starts to freeze in less than a minute.

it was like this all WE long here, -29C + wind chill Sunday morning

to return to Okuma

the IHS post is a very good base to start with

you jus need to know that the Okuma's twin spindles lathes use opposite work offset , the Z- is toward the spindle on both side, you can use the exact same code on the main and the sub

you probably got the P200L control with a 17inch touch screen , it's awesome, it's by far the best OSP version yet

it was like this all WE long here, -29C + wind chill Sunday morning

to return to Okuma

the IHS post is a very good base to start with

you jus need to know that the Okuma's twin spindles lathes use opposite work offset , the Z- is toward the spindle on both side, you can use the exact same code on the main and the sub

you probably got the P200L control with a 17inch touch screen , it's awesome, it's by far the best OSP version yet

Martin,

We'll see how much luck I have getting the In-House post. Maybe somehow, someone can throw me a bone.

Cool to know about the "Z" for the spindles being the same. On our Mori the Z- movement is always to the left and Z+ always to the right. We also have to change our circular interpolation from G02 to G03 on the different spindles.

In Mastercam do you program each spindle in it's own file and as a left spindle or do you have both spindles defined and draw it up as you would see it on the machine?

It is the P200L control. Would you suggest training to take place in our shop or at a training center. Maybe I can come work at your or Chris's shop for a month or two to get my training. Poutine and tortiere or Steamed New England Mussels and Baked Beans. Les Canadiens or the Bruins. HHhhmmmmmmm. Decisions, decisions, decisions.