Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

version 8 demo prob

CRowland

Hi,

I have been using the version 8 demo to see if I can justify to my company upgrading to version 8. I had the demo installed on my home pc (windows 98). It worked fine for a short time but then started duplicating the 2d sample folder every time I tried to access it. I thought I would simply uninstall the demo and and reinstall it. However it refused to uninstall. So (and here is were I really screwed up) I decided to delete the program manually from explorer thinking that I would then be able to reinstall the demo and It would overwrite any duplicate hidden files. No such luck, it refused to install and now I am stuck. What can I do to get the demo back on my computer? Thanks in advance.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The problem is that if you wiggle the mouse while clicking, the folders will propogate themselves until they cannot any further. I believe they'll go as deep as 255 characters long in the tree. This anomaly only shows up in Windows 98 systems(Or it's the only system I can reproduce that on). So, if you install it on NT or 2000, you'll not have that problem. Mastercam Version 8.1 does not exhibit that behavior.

------------------

James Meyette ;)

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Oops, forgot to tell you that since you just deleted the Mcam8 folder in explorer, you'll now need to go into the registry and delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/CNC Software,Inc. key, and the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/CNC Software,Inc. key as well. If you have any other Mastercam stuff installed in the box you'll have to approach it a bit differently.

Empty your recycle bin, restart your computer and then reinstall Mastercam. That should do it.

Let us know.

------------------

James Meyette ;)

Thanks,

However I was not succesfull. In fact it wont even let me delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/CNCSOFTWARE ETC ETC... It keeps magicaly reapearing. It shows that it is not in the registry after I delete it but when I close the registry and get back into it after restarting the computer, it is there again. So I tried deleting it one part at a time. The value in the folder 8.0.0.1 would not delete at all. It would give me an error and say that it is not able to delete all of the specified values.

I am getting an error when I try to reinstall the demo,it says Component transfer error, component: dummy

Why is this such a problem? My computer is only 9 months old or so and is in otherwise perfect working order.

Oh, I guess I should point out that the problem I had with the folder procreating also yeilded folders that would not delete. It would tell me that I did not have permission or something like that. Eventually I opened all the folders in explorer and deleted them manualy from the bottom up. In other words when I tried to delete the folder full of folders it wouldn't let me do it, so I sarted deleting from the last folder in the folder and It let me delete them all that way.

I dont think the reason the folders duplicated was becase of a shakey mouse hand, In fact the mastercam dealer/instructor/ tech support guy said it was a bug in the program, it wasn't the first time he had seen the problem. But he could not help me solve it. (got to say that that is bad marketing to have the demo crash)

Thanks for the help,

Clayton

[This message has been edited by CRowland (edited 02-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by CRowland (edited 02-27-2001).]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I don't know why regedit won't let you delete the key. Maybe it's a Windows 98 issue. Thr reason you cannot delete all the folders is because of a file-name length limitation in Windows 98, you're limited to 255 characters so if your directory structure looks like this, c:mcam8millmc8New Folder that is 26 characters, the New Folder would replicate a certain number of times.

The folder issue may not be exactly because of a shakey mouse hand, but the only way it can be replicated is to change "focus" from one folder to another while clicking at the same time. MFC is at the root of it, and once again this only occurrs in Windows 98 systems, it does not occurr in Windows NT or Windows 2000.

I have one question though, if you are using Demo, and since Demo does not save, why would you be creating folders? I'm really curious.

------------------

James Meyette ;)

I wasn't trying to make new folders, I was trying to get into one. And when I did the folders got duplicated. I went through the old posts and I did not see anything that I hadn't already been told or I hadn't tried. So I am still at a loss as to what to do next. It wont let me take the components out of the registry and it wont' overwrite them, so it would appear that I am plain flat screwed.

I do appreciate the help, you certainly got me further than I was.

Thanks,

Clayton

You said you did not have permission to make the nescessary changes... are you on a network? and if so, do you have admin privilages? The registry, as well as some file structures deemed nescessary to the OS, cannot be removed unless you have at least 'power user' access on the network. Check with your system admin about making the changes logged on as an admin.

Rekd

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Rekd said it. I can't think of any other reason(you don have "Administrator" level access) why you cannot delete the registry key.

Hey, productdevelopmentguy, any ideas?

------------------

James Meyette ;)

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

One thing I found helpful with Windows 98 is FORMAT c: LOL!

biggrin.gifeek.gifbiggrin.gif :eek biggrin.gifeek.gifbiggrin.gif :eek

[This message has been edited by James Meyette (edited 03-02-2001).]