Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Milling preheatreated 4340

Hi All,

I am milling a square 1.530 X 1.500 deep with 3/32 rad in the corners. And the parts already have a 1.500 hole in them. I usually just deal with the lahte dept but have been given the chance to do this. I feel my cycle time is way to long (apprex. 20 min) and my tool life is not good. we have x6 mill level 2. I am looking for tooling and tool path suggestions. I have tryed many different things and this part shouldn't be that big of a deal in my mind.

Thanks in advance

Dan

They will let me order what i need for the job. we are making these in lots of 200

so get some high quality variable helix end mill

you should be able to run them around 450SFM .002 to .005 IPT, in dynamic using a 8-10% step over , you can boost the feed up to .008 to .0010 IPT full length of the flutes (around 3/4 for a 3/8 endmill)

"and my tool life is not good"

so being a lathe guy, i would presume you are running flood coolant? HT steel, carbide endmilling and flood coolant do not generally get along well due to thermal shock.

air blast would be the only way @450 sfm