Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Laptop

BrandonH

If you have a small custom computer shop around your area, get friendly with them. In my experience they always provide the best prices/service of any other place. Normally really friendly people too.

IMO, this is almost always best. Companies that I've been at since the late 90's have used either HP or Dell for thier office rigs and the work fine there. Some have bought off the shelf Dells and attempted to cusomize them to suite cad/cam and always with bad results.

The main reason I dislike Dell is because their builds leave no room for flexibility, meaning if I want to add a bigger video card down the road I'm probably hosed because of the 250w power supply is running at 95% capacity.or I can't add more RAM... etc...

and that's exactly why. Dell builds there rigs to make use of every bit of hardware in the box. Which is good, becuase you get a pretty solid box as far as componet compatiblity goes, but mess with the configuration of those components or make use of them in the wrong way and you'll surely have issues.

I just got in the last 6 months the new M6600 laptop this one of there better units lots options including I can upgrade the video and the CPU and the option for more ram and multi hard drives in raid or not.

I just solid of two dell Precision workstations this last year as I was moving to newer computers. they worked great and I go good money for them and they were fully upgradeable for Ram drives and for sure video.I think they make good workstations along with Servers as I have dell servers to.

I did have two of the USB ports go out on the laptop. I contacted them this week and they sent a tech to house and fixed it with new components for free.

I also build my own computers and do for other mostly Mastercam customers.After selling my last two workstations off I built my own again not for the money savings but I wanted two and glad I did.

I will buy more dell stuff down the road but I will NEVER finance with them again. That was a night mare in every word of it.

Well that was my long two cents. I am Dell and none dell these days.

I buy laptops from www.mtechlaptops.com

Their hardware quality is really good. My M-Tech model D9 is 6 yrs old, I just changed the hard drive (only after 6 yrs, not bad). I am very happy with it.

Their laptops are more like portable desktops than true laptops in the sense of lightweight and long battery life.

You can get the high end I7 CPUs, the Nvidia Quadro cards, on the D9 models.

I use mine for MC, Verisurf (with laser scanner) and even though it is a 3.6 Ghz single core, it still has decent power.

I'm looking to replace it very soon, and I'm getting another D9 from them.

Hope this helps.