Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Lessons Learned on Collets

MetalMarvels

This one kicked my backside and it took me awhile to figure out the answer. I was using CAT40 Lyndex ER-16 collet holders and had two units that would not run concentric. I cleaned the collets, used different collets, cleaned the collet recess in the holder, tried everything I could think of. The collets would not hold a tool concentrically no matter what I tried. After examining the end of the collet holder under magnification (10x) I noticed that there was a slight ring embossed on the end of the stop screw in the center of the collet holder. It matched the end of the collet perfectly. The stop screw was preventing the collet from fully seating in the holder and the collet nut was only closing the FRONT END of the collet - producing a line contact with the tool shank rather than a surface contact along the tool shank length. After pulling out the screw (left-hand threaded), the collets ran true!!!!!

I realize that this is way off topic, but I almost fed these holder back to my dealer the hard way - and it was my fault in the end.... Just thought I would pass along the lesson learned.

cheers.gif

quote:

but I almost fed these holder back to my dealer the hard way

In all likelyhood, the dealer wouldn't have known any better - and when you did give those holders a shove - you likely would have heard them go "Bink" as they hit some other job he had go wrong...