Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Opti Area issue

Jrygus

I am using Surface High Speed (optiarea) I have step up turned on, my step over is set to .15. I get the .15 step over on all the lower cuts, but when it steps up to cut around the hole, my step over increases. As you can see in the picture. Anyone have a suggestion?

post-4599-0-80443900-1339003689_thumb.jpg

Try making your step over and step up different values.

Typically when they are the same, the step ups will come up to the flats.

Make it like .14 instead, see if that helps

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Rickster, I do not see an add cuts in the Surface High speed optiarea in X6.

J, I tried a few different settings like you said. The picture is with a .15 step over and a .075 step up. Then I tried a .14 step up, then a .15 step up with a .14 step over. I tried a lot of different steps, and they all make the same result. I don't know why that step over gets so big.

What is your tool diameter? It may not be as big as it actually looks, as it is creating an island there. Run it in verify and see what it looks like in that area. Another option is to use a vertical line in that area as an open entry chain and hog that area out to begin with to change up the approach.

Husker

Husker, My tool is a 3/4 endmill. Verify is where I actually noticed this was going on. The last cuts on the island that it is creating were much bigger than the lower pocket area. If I turn on my toolpath visability (alt-t) I can measure up to .35 between those cuts. At first I thought it was just a visual thing and the cuts were engaging the same percentage of the tool, but I don't think that is the case anymore. I like your idea for using an open chain for the entry, right over the island to make it cut it first, however Surface High Speed (optiarea) does not have that as an option for entry. I think I will play with the entry a bit and see if I can get something like that to work.

Husker, My tool is a 3/4 endmill. Verify is where I actually noticed this was going on. The last cuts on the island that it is creating were much bigger than the lower pocket area. If I turn on my toolpath visability (alt-t) I can measure up to .35 between those cuts. At first I thought it was just a visual thing and the cuts were engaging the same percentage of the tool, but I don't think that is the case anymore. I like your idea for using an open chain for the entry, right over the island to make it cut it first, however Surface High Speed (optiarea) does not have that as an option for entry. I think I will play with the entry a bit and see if I can get something like that to work.

Looks like you could use 2d Highspeed core mill followed by OptiRest. Or you could do a chain with Coutour then OptiRest using the previous operation as the rest material.