Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc Series 31i controller question

powerfulp

We are having problems burning up drills on the job we are currently running at my shop. It is on a brand new horizontal cnc machining center (Hyundai with Fanuc Series 31i controller). Yes I am looking at ways to solve this problem, but in the meantime I would like to set it up so when the machine reaches a certain horsepower or thrust limit it stops drilling before it burns up. Is there a way to do that with a Fanuc Series 31i controller? I haven't been able to find anything in the book on this. I am used to working on some older K & T's and there is a HP Limiter right on the tool table so it is easy to find/use, etc and is very handy. I can only assume newer controllers like this one would have this ability, I just can't find it.

Thanks for any help.

if hyundai enabled the option try hitting the custom1 or custom 2 button, this is where the factory tool load monitor would be if its enabled, if not you'll have to look in the fanuc book to find the system variables to create your own macro, i havent tried it yet but we have a doosan with a 31i, if you find the system variable for the spindle or the zaxis load , you could do a while\do statement, ill try to look into it later today , but im sure there are a lot more people on here whom are a million x better then i with fanuc custom macro

If you are burning up drills then your speed/feed data is incorrect.

It's also quite possible you aren't getting proper coolant to the drill.

You may not be using the correct tool for the application.

What you are trying to eliminate is NOT a product of horsepower or thrust.

Get your speed/feed data correct to start.

If the process is bad, no amount of technology monitoring will fix it.

Ok I went out and pressed the Custom1 and Custom2 buttons and nothing happened so it must not have the option. I have almost no clue on how to write a macro for this ... can you (or someone) give me an example so I have some place to start? In the meantime, I'll look for the system variables for the spindle or z-axis load...Thanks!

Oh I just read the post from SAIPEM ... as I originally stated, I am aware that I have to find the root cause, however, this brings to mind an important function of the control which I want to implement in this and other applications. Sometimes operators don't watch wear close enough, or sometimes there are problems with materials or even the tool which cause "unpredictable" failure. In these instances I would like something to help prevent a catastrophic event. A simple spindle load or HP limiter setting will accomplish this. I use it all the time on machines that have this feature and lets just say it comes in handy.

You are wasting your time trying to accomplish this by writing a Macro.

If you want to prevent a catastrophic event, proper speeds & feeds are a must.

There are already servo & spindle load alarms built into the control system..

Just because you are running at a given load does not mean the tool is not cutting correctly.

On your Program Check Screen, Press All for the Position Displays.

You should now see "Monitor" as a Softkey.

Press it once and you'll get the servo load monitor where the "Distance to Go" would be.

Press it again and you'll get the spindle load.

Press All and you'll get "Distance to Go" back.

You should also look into the adaptive control options for Fanuc.

http://tinyurl.com/9sfouey

http://tinyurl.com/98bob9h