Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Holder Display in Backplot (8.1)

Mike-T

I need to tell my set-up people how long to hang there tools out. With the part skewed at an angle, the tool holder dia. will influence the length that the tool must hang out. Is there a way to back-plot the actual holder dia.?? (not a scaled one ??). And why on the Tool def page, you have the ability to input holder dia. yet the system doesn't seem to use it. Am I missing something ?? Any input would be greatly appreciated....

I seem to get the same results whether using custom or auto.

GOOD QUESTION! This topic has been touched on many times in this forum, but never resulted in a definate answer. I've only been using MC since V7.2, but there has been a few updates since then and this topic has never really been addressed. Whats the point to having all those fields in the tool definition anyways? Most of them aren't used in creating tool geometry in backplot or verify, and you can't output these values in you setup sheet for you operators.

I know living in Minnesota you must get used to getting left out in the cold smile.gif

Actually I'm surprised no one else has commented on this topic. Being able to define your own custom profiled tools is something that turned me onto MasterCAM, as apposed to just sticking with my older system.

Two area that I would like to see MC develop are creating irregular shapped material in verify, and using the fields in the define tool window to create the profile of my custom tool for both backplot and verify. I know that V8.1 address the part about using irregular shapped material (I think its heading in the right direction), but I'd like to know if the development guys at CNC software have anything more planned for the define tool window and what is the intended purpose of having all those fields in the first place if they can't be used to their full potential.

[This message has been edited by Chip Maker (edited 03-13-2001).]

You can define irregularly shaped stock in Verify with version 8.1.

You need to start with a Solid Model or a Surface file. File, Converters to output as a .stl or a .igs file (igs works better, faster).

When you go to Verify, go to Configure (far left button) and under Shape, select File, and pick your .igs/.stl file name. Whammo.... it works great.

Something else, if you have the Truesolids option on, after Verifying a toolpath, click on the STL button to save an .stl file of the part As Machined. This creates an stl file of the part, that can be used for subsequent operations. Very slick, and very useful. The new verify rocks.

V8.1 backplots the tool shape based on the tool definition dialog box. The holder was not covered in these improvements. The holder in the backplot is I believe based on the Holder.mc8 file in your /mcam8/mill/tools dir. The holder appears to scale based on the tool diameter.

In Verify however according to the Help system, if you choose the Display holder option in the Configuration dialog box, the system displays a fixed holder (HOLDER.MC8) that you cannot scale. Modify the Holder.mc8 file to match your correct holder geometry. Verification is slower, but would show the collision of stock and holder that you are looking for. Modify the overall tool length in the tool definition until the collision is avoided.

[This message has been edited by Dave Thomson (edited 03-14-2001).]

This question has been plaguing me from the time I read it. Last year at the dealer meeting a dealer showed something on this with collision check. I assumed that they used the arbor diameter and overall length to simulate the tool holder, and flute length as the length of the tool. I have reproduced this in backplot but not in verify or collision check. Does anyone else remember this? He showed it as part of the demo competition. That dealer won. If that helps ring any bells. I will check on it Monday. Backplot will show the custom tool. That could help you see the potential danger. Be sure that the profile is set to auto in the Tool Appearance Parameters. I hope this helps.