Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anybody ever wire molybdenum tzm?

mikeqes

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with wire edm'ing this stuff.

It is cutting fine but is really messing with my deionization. After i first started running this

material I noticed my deionization levels going up so I thought I just needed to change my

resin. So I did that and after the machine ran idol a few hours my levels came down, then as

soon as I started cutting the moly again my DI levels went off the chart again. Never had a

material do this before. So my plan is when I am done cutting this stuff I am going to drain all

my water and change all my filters so I dont ruin another bottle of resin trying to filter this

stuff out. Anyone ever deal with something like this before? Something you really have to think about

when quoting a job.

Charmilles Robofil 240

Thanks!

Mike

Is it similar to an M2 High Speed Steel? I have found that many times the Resistivity goes up when the water is dirty due to poor filter life which is why your levels returned to normal after having time to catch up. If you wired much of this stuff I would go with a higher Micron filter to keep from loading up your filters. Resin tank should be fine if it returns to normal.

No Del, its a sintered material, kinda cuts like cast iron but its used in high temp aplications like rocket nozzels although

I am only making some kind of holding fixture out of it. Its a "Titanium-Zirconium-Molybdenum alloy " Mostly moly though.

I guess its pretty exotic stuff seeing the customer hand delivered it and wants the rest back. After I changed my resin and started

cutting again my levels slowly krept back up off the charts (have never seen this before except when the resin was going bad) so I am

guessing there is something about this stuff overwhelming my DI unit. I can find zero info about wiring it besides that it can be wired.

My filters show plenty of life left in them so I dont thinkk that is it, unless the 5 micron is to big and its not filtering enough???

Thanks for your reply!

Mike