Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Opening Solidworks part files

david

When we open a *.sldprt file into Mastercam, sometimes we get choices of certain configurations created in Solidworks( example top half, bottom half, bottom half no key). When I look at the Solidworks file with our engineers on their computer in Solidworks, it appears to have all the different configurations but when I open it in Mastercam I don't get options. Can someone help me out? Is it a setting in Mastercam or a setting in Solidworks?

Thanks in advance.

What we've learned from working with SolidWorks on this is that this can happen when inactive configurations have been marked dirty in SW based on changes made to the active configuration. In those cases, the solid model for that inactive configuration is not saved until it is made active and rebuilt.

When opening a SW part into Mastercam, we only offer as choices those configurations which have been rebuilt before being saved.

Chances are that's what you are seeing

• Like 1

Pete, our engineer opened the model and rebuilt each configuration after making it active. Then saved the file. When I open that file in Mastercam it takes a little bit longer to open but it does not offer any choices of configurations. I thought we were on to something. Have any other suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Close the file on Solidworks!!! At least that's the solution I found when working with both, although on my case I had both on the same machine.

I found that I needed to have all configs to be regen and saved and then close the solidworks part file if I wanted the Configs to be presented for me to pick one while loading the sldprt. If you don't close it on sldwks you will always be presented the main configuration.

Give it a try.

HTH