Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

plunging ramp or helix

Something I may get into shortly and wanted to get the expert opinion s of the emastercam community

Wat kind of surface footage is agood starting point for ramping into carbon steels

Also witch is the better tooling for something like this solid carbide or indexables

Or is a helix entry preferred, either or? Also curious of wat deg of entry is best

"carbon steels"

Well, that does open up a world of different possibilities.

So I'll be very general

I will typically helix entry 75-80% of my feed rate generally at a 2 degree. Now you're tool choice and exact metal being cut will determine much more of the exact cutting conditions.

On those occasions where I just cannot fit a helix in, I will ramp, again at a 2 degree zig and zag.

Are you looking for performance? Or are you going to use standard tools? Helical entries are more efficient than linear ramping. The bottom geometry on the tool dictates the allowable entry angle. I prefer solid carbide over indexable and try to use high performance where feasible.

One of my favorites in mild steels: 5 Deg. helix 80% Speed and 60% feed. For 1/2 dia = 5623 rpm 74.4 feed. No stepdown, cut full depth. For 1.25 depth, takes about 2 seconds to reach depth. Then bump speed and feed back up to 7029 and 124.

Same thing here, huge shortage of data so I wing it at 50% feed. 1.5 deg. for all steels works safe so far for helix entry. Helix bore, .006 to .03 depending on hole size and tool being used. Lately we've been eliminating start/entry holes altogether and using a ramp throughout the entire pocket, 1 way, and ramping the exterior as well using a depth value, not an angle and tool life has been great. So far, Mr. Rush has posted the closest thing to an actual formula that I can find on the forum. It's a topic that does not seem to get enough coverage anywhere.

Indexable Feed mill ramp and helix: Page 13, 14.

HTTP://www.mitsubishicarbide.com/mmus/catalog/pdf/b/b028a.pdf

I'm still looking for good data to use with solid carbide e-mills. Anybody care to post some links?

For that Swift pdf... less flutes, greater chip clearance = steeper angle, makes sense. Quite a variation of values for the different materials being cut. Those appear to be some aggressive angles. I'm going to check these cutters out. Whats your take on them?

We typically use generic 4 flute cheap carbide, ALTIN, with most steels so my thoughts are the numbers in the PDF should be a safe starting point

Thanks for the links. That PDF goes into the vault.

If you have memory and rigid tooling (mill chucks or thermal) these are very high performance tools. They need to be programmed using Dynamic toolpaths, and if you follow the guidelines for engagement angle, they do well in everything that I have tried. (Aluminum and mild steel.)

The videos don't lie. :)

I also use regular carbide endmills when I am cutting castings or other unpredictable materials. Then I have to be back in the 2 Deg angle range, with multiple depths.

The videos are impressive. We have a Makino S56 with the Haimer system but use it primarily for finishing hardened tool steels. We spend quite a bit of money on expensive ball nose cutters and do very little roughing on this machine. But I am going to put a bug in the ear of somebody that runs a rather large shop in the area and has the resources to experiment with this stuff. Chances are , he may already be aware of them.

PS: Swift-Carb has a channel on youtube, open to the public with over 20 vids. You just half to go to youtube directly and search for Swift-Carb