Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Number of boundary points exceeds 32767...(5 axis multisurf...)

Niezingerly

Boss's Pet project, milling a golf ball on a 5 axis machine.

Error keeps popping up..."Number of boundary points exceeds 32767"

What is this?

565 surfaces on the golf ball....

I was able to generate something using Rotary 4-axis, kept getting the same error, kept clicking OK to the error, after a bit, got some toolpath...

Now I am trying 5 axis multisurf, had to click ok to this error probably 20 times, then got some toolpath...

Any idea what this is?

Thanks

I cant tell you what that MASTERCAM's problem is, but when writing software, you have to define what type of 'number' you are going to use beforehand. 32767 is the largest number you can hold in 16 bits. Sounds like you hit a wall of some kind in the program design.

I am no computer geek (wish I was) but I was thinking along those lines, that it had reached some limit, like you are saying...

I was trying to divide 32676 by 8 (8 bits), but the number was not a whole number, so I gave up on that thought...

I ended up splitting the solid into 6 different pieces, and am able to "turn off" certain areas, when not needed for machining, and doing that, I can limp through this, but I am going to have to end up doing this part in 3+2 instead of 5 axis simultaneous...

Oh well...

Thank you.

Yep, sounds like a genuine, 16-bit bug that no one has called to our attention :)

Try giving it a shot with one of the newer toolpaths under the surface/solid. You'll need to do the same thing you do with ol' multi-surface, (drive off of another surface, then use collision control to comp out to the drive surfaces), but I'll bet it will work properly.