Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 Tool Manager / Center drill issue

Bridgeportboy

I could be wrong, but I think the main point of the OP was that the tool manager its setup to make a 90 degree center drill, however since every standard center drill I have seen is 60 degrees included.. you would imagine you could change it to 60 degrees, if you do it gives the error shown.

Also .. if you look at standard definitions of lengths for center drills the drill length is always defining the length of the pilot drill part of the center drill .. not overall length of flute..

So therefore using standard nomenclature (and dimensions / angles) for center drills that has been that way for many years the tool manager doesn't seem to function correctly..

(oh and it would be 180 - 120 to get a 60 degree included so the number should be 60.. just as the 118 indicates an 118 degree tip)

In case anyone wants to argue the 120 vs 60 included bit.. I include the following from a tool manufacturers catalog..

Combined drill and countersinks(center drill bits) are designed with 118° Point Angle and a 60° Countersink Included Angle with Spiral Flutes. Combined drill and countersinks(center drill bits) are used for center holes in work pieces for additional manufacturing operations. Available in HSS, COBALT, and CARBIDE. The Bell type is furnished with a 118° Point Angle and a 60° /120° Included angle. Combined drill and countersinks(center drill bits) also available in an extra long series.

Bridgeportboy - What that's telling you is that the cutting length can't be calculated with that 60* angle... Try making your cutting length >13mm and it'll work. It's being constrained by the drill diameter & length and working backwards.

I'll suggest they try to make the error more descriptive.

Cheers,

Aaron, Did you actually try this or is this a guess that it'll work because it does'nt work on my box?

I get the same error message that is pictured in my 1st post.

Steve