Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Making sure I'm in the ballpark

I either need a slap or a bit of reassurance here

I have a .042 carbide ballmill, I'm cutting a channel with it in 304 stainless, the channel total length is

Total length = 40.8659

At 131 SFM ,I am maxed out at 12k RPM I have a .0002 CPT I'm taking an .008 DOC with a finish pass of .003

I'm getting a 25 minute cycle time on this path alone

Am I in the ballpark on this puppy?

I either need a slap or a bit of reassurance here

I have a .042 carbide ballmill, I'm cutting a channel with it in 304 stainless, the channel total length is

Total length = 40.8659

At 131 SFM ,I am maxed out at 12k RPM I have a .0002 CPT I'm taking an .008 DOC with a finish pass of .003

I'm getting a 25 minute cycle time on this path alone

Am I in the ballpark on this puppy?

How deep is the gland? Anything you can do eliminate the use of the ballnose until you get to the bottom can be a huge help.

Using the Sandvik chip thinning calculator I figured you are actually at 103SFM (11,928rpm) for a .042" em with 2 flutes, feed per tooth of .0002" and ADOC of .008" and the recommended feed rate is 4.8ipm. Its a ballnose specific calculator and I've found it particularly useful for stuff like this. You have to keep in mind with ballnose cutters that your effective diameter varies a lot when you are cutting less then the full diameter of the tool.

Oh I know, this is a groove that is .042 wide and .039 deep.

Even sticking a .04 wide endmill in first isn't going to save anything, I am at the mercy of SFM and the CPT at that rate

The ball mill is 4FL

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't off the reservation but seeing other numbers, I'm not, it is what it is

Oh I know, this is a groove that is .042 wide and .039 deep.

Even sticking a .04 wide endmill in first isn't going to save anything, I am at the mercy of SFM and the CPT at that rate

The ball mill is 4FL

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't off the reservation but seeing other numbers, I'm not, it is what it is

4fl= 9.5ipm

Too bad you don't have more rpm. For the first few passes I'd be around .0003-.0004 per tooth, getting you up to 14ipm.

Im pretty sure you would have already thought of this.. but if its possible to get to it with a saw cutter getting a 1mm full radius saw would probably save a ton of time on this..

No, it's basically like the "yellow brick road" no saw possible, thx though