Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Programmer - Quick Question

I am new at MasterCam programming. Quick question for you experts....

When my program 1/2" endmill is done ramping down it then rapids over to the next position. HOWEVER, it is moving in X, Y and Z concurrently. I snapped a tool off when it did this becasue the tool hit the material and messed up the part. What I would like to happen is for the machine to retract in Z first and then move in the X and Y axis. I have since manually added a G code to do this, but I think there must be some setting in MasterCam that I am missing that does this for me? This would be a huge help if someone could answer this for me.

THANKS!!

Use a Refernce Point on the desired toolpaths. Activate the Z but not the X and Y. This will force the Z to the desired place before XY output.

There is also a way to edit the post that will always break Z movement from XY movement. In some posts, it is a switch. Or custom logic can be put in place to evaluate direction of movement.

Your top of stock is 4" and your retract is .25 above Z zero

THERE is the issue right there

Make the clearance 6" ABS , the retract 4.25 ABS and your feed place .1 INC

Those number when you work in Absolute are relative to your Z zero

Your part is 4" tall, yet you are setting ALL of your rapiding and clearance below the top of your part

Holy moly. Didn't this crash show up on verify?

Your retract is set 3.75 inches below your top of stock. I'm surprised it didn't crash on the initial approach, since your clearance is also 2 inches below the top of stock.

Try this and you'll be good to go:

Clearance: 6.0 (This will be 2 inches above your top of stock)

Retract: 4.25 (This will be .25 above your top of stock)

Feed Plane: .1 INCREMENTAL (This will make the tool rapid to .1 above your top of stock, in this case, 4.1)

Top of stock: leave as is

Depth: leave as is