Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Skill building workshop?

brandon b

We just had one of those. It was actually a lot better than I thought it would be and really saw the class (all of our department heads grow through out it.

The basics of the course was to eliminate steps in everyday procedures that we do. So what we were asked to do was to write every step of a said process and then try to see which steps are redundant and where we can reorganise to be more effective. I will dig up my cheat sheet of the basics and type it out to you if you would like and can also put you in touch with the guys contact info but I am unsure if he goes as far as cali sincce he may not have the work permits and is based here in Canada.

When you mentioned skills building, I thought you were talking about technical skills for operators or setup guys.

Stuff like learning g-code, lining up a vise, or editing a program on the floor.

But productivity is a hole other animal that involves more than just a technical skills. It involves building systems that control every aspect of production from the time a sales person takes the order, until the product ships to the customer and everything and everyone in between.

And that hole can go very, veeeeery deep (ask me how I know...).

If you're talking about serious productivity, the most obvious of systems are Kaizen, 6 Sigma, or Lean Manufacturing (as we know it).

I've taken classes for this in the past through local colleges and private instructors. I've also worked with companies that implemented it successfully.

These systems can work very well for individuals as well as entire companies.

I'm a very strong believer in these types of systems.

That being said, I have to tell you that most companies that start systems like this fail to do it right because the system requires 100% buy-in from the very top down.... for ever. Literally, for ever.

You have to have solid leadership and bosses that are willing to build the system into the company culture.

If this is what you're trying to bring to your work place, there are many consulting companies and contractors that will come to your shop and train you for a fee ($$$).

Some local colleges used to offer training through state funded courses but a lot of those are no longer available because if cuts. But it's worth a look.

Before going and doing all that I suggest you look into as many youtube videos and other online resources, so that you get a better idea of what it involves.

Look up Kaizen, Lean Manufacturing, 6 Sigma, 7 wastes of Lean.

That'll get you started. At the very least you will get some good ideas to begin planting the seeds.

I'll see if I can do the same as "Within a thou" and try to dig up all of the old documentation from my training.

But honestly the literature is not enough. You actually have to see the difference by doing small exercises and compare them to what you currently do to see that they'll work in your environment.

Long winded, yes, but I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Ya we've been trying to do that lean manufacturing. ( Goodrich ) is our main customer. It really does take 100% cooperation from the whole company.

When I said skill building. I meant on a personal level. Too help me become a more productive programmer. I can program all our parts but I'm not very fast and it bothers the boss man I can tell

Thanks Oscar R., very informative.

Happy to help Bob.

When I said skill building. I meant on a personal level. Too help me become a more productive programmer. I can program all our parts but I'm not very fast and it bothers the boss man I can tell

Again, building systems into your process will really help you with this.

If you can program most or all of the parts that come across your desk then your next step should be building a tool library with your most commonly used tools, as well as building a Mastercam toolpath operations library for your most commonly used toolpaths.

It does take some time to build these libraries but it's well worth the effort.

If you constantly have part that take similar tools and toolpaths, this will eliminate a great deal of the time it takes for you to program any given part.