Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool Holder Maintenance

How often and what kind of maintenance are people doing out there. I've been here for 9 years and there is no such concept here. We just reground a spindle that was bell mouthed on both ends. The grinder told the owner to start over and toss all of our CAT 40 holders instead of trying to have them ground/reconditioned. I'm trying to get feedback for what other shops are doing. That is the answer the owner wants for everything. I suggested that we invest in a drawbar tester so that we would know if/when our drawbar starts failing on the machines. The last one failed and we figured it out when the saw that was loaded was hanging loose from the taper... A little too late to do anything at that point. Anyone using one of those?

I've invested in the socket for a torque wrench so I can better control the retention knobs, I'd like to know how often we should be breaking them free and checking them for wear.(We have never done any of that in my time here.)

I'd like to be able to put in place a robust maintenance program to improve the quality and performance on the mills. Especially if I can keep the pressure up and convince the owner to look into a slightly higher end mill instead of a Haas for nearly the same money. Having a program in place that give predictable results will make it easier to keep any machine producing a higher quality part.

Get a drawbar tester.

How hard are you pushing the 40 taper machines on a side load? You should be good at 80 % load on the load meter for a long time. As you get above that and run there, you will need to test the drawbar at least every 6 months. Those belview washers do brake, ane the tool starts comming loose.

If you are bouncing in a heavy cut and that machine used to run smoother, check it.

THe better 40 taper machines do hold better, but there is a limit and you may need a 50 taper machine. to handle the load.

Machineguy

We push the 40 taper on occasion, but mostly we are running Aluminum. These are Haas Verticals so there is only so much in them. ;-)

I'm lobbying as part of a maint plan to let us know when we are having issues. THe spindle was ground because we were breaking tools and could see the fretting on the tool holders.

The owner only wants to invest if everyone else if doing it..... If not we don't need to be better than those we are competing with.... His theory not mine. But that's probably why I have so many issues around here.