Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool Manager segment editing help?

Rawbn_Hood

I am building my company's custom tools and extension holders (separately) in the Tool Manager.

When I get about 10 segments into a tool, I realize I have one too many or too little segments in, of course, the middle of the tool. I have tried deleting the segment, no success.

The solution so far has been:

1. Throw nearest un-tethered object at wall.

2.a. Start tool over.

or

2.b. Enter all dimensions from bottom segment in the previous segment until all is well.

or

2.c. Enter zeros in all fields of that segment.

3. Live in fear of repeating mistake.

4. Rinse and repeat.

Am I missing a stress-free button? I was hoping it would be similar to Microsoft Excel in the respect that I could "Insert Row" or "Delete Row".

When in the tool manager make sure you click on the left side error that is the segment and hit the delete key. I normally start with 14 to 20 segments and then just delete the extra ones out. Easier to delete the ones I do not need than add the ones I wish I had. I have also found it is easier to start at the bottom and work you way up. I also have copied the dimension for my most common segments into an excel spreadsheet and then use it as a cheat sheet to enter and go through the segments. I wish there was a .tooldb editor to allow more freedom so change things like manufacture and such, but right now we get what we get.

One other tip is you have 2 screen drag the tool manger across the 2 screens and put all 3 windows next to each other helps in making assemblies having each window parked next to each other. They allow you to pull the windows out and put them on different screen, but they cannot be parked next to each other out of the tool manger and then when you start doing other stuff they get lost. By parking them in the large stretched screen I have found I can drag and drop pretty easy. Also make sure you wait the 3 to 5 second when dragging. Do not assume you have the item because you clicked it. I have found it best to click wait 3 to 5 seconds while holding down on the left button then start to drag. Just clicking and starting to drag most times does not work, where as clicking and counting to 3 or 5 then dragging does.

Excellent!! Thank you, Crazy^Millman.

I have noticed the quirks of the Tool Manager; the delays, the no assuming anything, and clicking juuuust right to get things to work. I have a feeling the Tool Manager will be my baby in our programming office, so all help is much appreciated! Oh, and dual monitor is the only way to go with the assemblies: assembly window on the left, tools and holders on the widescreen to the right.

• Like 1