Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotary 4-axis toolpaths

Odin

I am going to be milling a transmission die spline that needs to be machined all the way around it. For the life of me I can not get the multi-axis toolpaths figured out. I am using the classic rotary toolpath. it backplots fine and the verify looks good but I just cant get it to post right. I am using X7mill 3, and the piece is going to be machined on a Makino A99 HMC or on a Makino MCB 1210 HMC. Our reseller tweaked our post and mmd. for us. I haven't messed with multi-axis toolpaths at all until today. Any help would be appreciated. I tried to upload zip2go file but its to large. the gray area around the spline is what needs to be machined.

post-22223-0-43813700-1391525009_thumb.png

That is pretty straight forward, but depends if you have Multi-Axis as part of your Mastercam or not? Without with will need to do it as axis sub with it pretty straight forward. Can you put the file on CAD/CAM's FTP so someone can help you? Go to the HASP.EXE and post up a screen shot of that and someone will know what all you have to help you out with.

HTH

They are the ones that edited my post. I think its something I am doing wrong in the toolpaths. I just started messing with 4-axis stuff Monday. its all new to me. I have the multiaxis tutorial books, but those lean toward vertical machining. I think im just getting my axis rotations mixed up.

Odin, your toolpath is fine just setup is not on the wrong plane. Take the Generic 4 Axis HMC and use it and post your toolpath. Comes out like you would expect. Get on the horn with the dealer and tell them they need to use a X7 post and make what you need and get you away from that V9 post that has been updated who know how many times.

Odin, I think you need to break things back down to basics. All those values in the WCS are not helping your issues. Take your tooplath and go back to TOP WCS as your Main WCS for the operation. Then go to front. Get rid of the X values and Z values. Would be okay with the Y values, but I always tel anyone new to WCS to never mess with the standard views. Make a copy of that view and work from there. That was you can always go back and use them to check your operations till you get a good understanding how it all work and that will help you build a good understanding of things.

Ok, I got the mach. def, control, and post setup that works, now I need help with multiaxis toolpaths. I have to cut the teeth on the spline in the picture. I have to 2.5mm off of the upper edge of the ones with the green curve/wireframe around them. what would be the best way to go about this? I am stumped. it is set up on a 4 -axis Horizontal machine. TIA

post-22223-0-29420200-1391786783_thumb.png

Odin Swarf in a 4axis output would do this, Axis substution where the Geometry is unrolled would do this, Curve 5 axis in a 4 axis output would do this. Many options, I have been slammed and out at customers a lot lately, but I would start with those choices. I also recommend you contact the folks over Cad-CamTech and see about getting a class to help you along.