Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool/Process Suggestions

I am a custom knife maker and just picked myself up a 1999 Mighty MV-40 bed mill with an a2100 control, box ways, 400IPM max travels. Prior to this I had been running a small CNC hobby mill.

I am cutting annealed CPM s30v (stainless but manufacturer claims machinability similar to d2) and trying to rough out the blade bevels with high speed area clearance prior to heat treating.

Using a .375 4 flute tialn coated carbide end mill I am getting less than 20 minutes of tool life. Wear seems to be on the face + corners of the tools.

Cut parameters are 20% XY stepover, .035 step down, add cuts turned on with (default) min step down of 0.003125, max stepover of .1875 and minimize burial turned on.

Running at 6000 rpm and 90 IPM

I am thinking maybe the axial depth of cut is too small and I am just rubbing the edges off? I get 2 bevels roughed out before the next set starts raising a burr, after that trying any kind of helix entry for the next part of the process results in a glowing tool tip!

I am new to running a machine with more than 3k rpm and 100ipm travels so any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

I am thinking of maybe running a smaller tool to increase chip load with similar step downs or maybe running a .240 3 flute feed mill from lakeshore carbide for this part of the process.