Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

probing 3 point boss

Guyinthedesert

I've never used the 3 point boss/bore routine before, but here's what I got. I need to probe the O.D. of a casting, however it has a round flange with 6 bosses (for bolt holes) sticking out of the profile at 60 deg intervals. (30, 90, 150, 210l, 270 and 330 deg)

I thought I'd try the renishaw 3 poing boss routine. It seemed to work ok, but when I started doing a test cut, I could see it was way off.

I indicated the od best I could with an indicator, it was right on in Y, and -.090 in X.

Then I tried probing just the X with the X boss routine, and I got roughly the same number as with an indicator.

Here's the routine I used;

G00 G90 G56 X0 Y0

G43 H40 Z1.

G01 Z0.9 F50.

G65 P9832

G65 P9810 Z0.3 F30.

G65 P9823 A0. B120. C240. D4. Z-0.3 S3.

G65 P9810 Z2. F60.

G65 P9833

Now, if I change the angles to A60. B180. C300. then Y is still right but X is off .090 the other way.

Am I missing something? It almost seems like a bogus calculation in the software, but that seems hard to believe.

Any thoughts? TIA

What calibration cycle did you last use? You must use the O9804 vector calibration cycle if you're going to use 3 point.

Mike

Ah, many thanks, that was it. I wish I had a Renishaw manual. I had one years ago when I was probing on Fanucs, but with Haas, if it's not listed on the VQC, I guess they expect you to just sit there taking wild stabs in the dark?

What calibration cycle did you last use? You must use the O9804 vector calibration cycle if you're going to use 3 point.

Mike

I've changed our HAAS VQC program to do the vector calibration. Unless you have the 1 MB memory and are really jonesing for space (ie you don't want to keep vector cycles on the machine), there's no point in just running the 4 point calibration. Eventually you'll want to do something with vectors. In the O9023 program search for P9803 (type P9803, then down arrow). P9803 is for 4 point calibration. Change this to P9804 and run the VQC calibration as normal. I've done this to all our Haas's.

Greg