Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 MU1 started freezing on File|Open

certprec

Hi, when we're using the default Mastercam X Style File|Open dialog, the program freezes as soon as we try to do a File|Open or use the Open icon on the toolbar.

.Net has been removed and reinstalled, various utilities have been run looking for the issue. We've tried a new Windows user profile but the issue persists.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

What is your default open directory? Is it a network location?

Do you have read access to this directory?

If all else fails and this is a new issue, I would suggest removing your config file from the folder and restarting Mastercam, let it build a new config and see if that clears it up

Thanks!

The default open directory is local and within my user profile, full permissions and such.

As for the config file, can you elaborate on that? What would we lose by removing the file? How much of the customization we've made? If I backup the original and remove/re-build a new one, can I restore the old one back? Can you let me know which file I'm actually looking for?

Sorry for the all the questions and thanks again.

I had a weird bug that froze my computer on opening the program, and opening a file... it started after I had selected that I would like to provide automatic feedback in the customer feedback program. It took me a long time to figure out just what the h was going on. I had to sit and think about everything I had done that might have screwed up the machine, and work my way back. Turns out it was that... maybe it's because I work over a network, but just selecting that box royally effed things up. So you might want to give that a try and see if it was activated. It's under Help>Customer Feedback Program

I have seen this problem in several softwares that were looking for network resources that are no longer available. This can be a file or a folder in the network share. The lag is caused by the o/s not Mastercam.

Try to unplug the network cable from your PC and try file open again... If you get it quick as a lightening then you have a corrupt registry. The problem can lie on the MRU entries or in the context handle menu entries.

Try to use a registry cleaner tool to get rid of them for you. I posted a solution for this very problem here some time ago... Not sure were it now though...

Thanks for all the replies I will attempt both.

Just wanted to repeat though, this is a single PC, that while connected to the internet is not sharing or using any resources with other PCs on the small workgroup here.

Also, I did create a new Windows user profile and had the same freeze, so I don't thing the config folder, which appears to be a per-user item, would make a difference.

Thanks again, still trying to figure this out.

Thanks for all the replies I will attempt both.

Just wanted to repeat though, this is a single PC, that while connected to the internet is not sharing or using any resources with other PCs on the small workgroup here.

Also, I did create a new Windows user profile and had the same freeze, so I don't thing the config folder, which appears to be a per-user item, would make a difference.

Thanks again, still trying to figure this out.

Ok... perhaps totally unrelated since you created a new profile...

Are you using an AV or firewall? If you do, did you try to turn them off and open a file?

Like said in that post, there's not much error a developer can introduce when implementing a file open function. How the software handles what is done with the file after the selection is made, is a totally different story and can bring a lot of room for mistakes. But file open itself is merely an API call to the O/S.

Yes, thanks I do appreciate all the input. We did test disabling and removing security software & firewall - just standard Microsoft Security Essentials & Windows Firewall.

And to reiterate incase it wasn't clear, when I switch the File|Open dialog to Windows Standard, it works fine. It's only the Mastercam X style that is freezing up.