Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How difficult are the Mastercam University tests?

plasticites

I've just started taking the Mill Design & Tool Paths course from Mastercam, and will be getting to the point where I take the first Post Test soon. I have zero on the job experience with Machining or Mastercam, brand new and trying to break into the field. On the first pretest I scored 13/20. I was surprised that I did that good not knowing ANYTHING other than what I learned in a 90 hour certificate machining course at a local Votech here in town.

I've been watching the videos over and over, taking notes, and at the same time stressing about the time frame I have to finish the course, and I just hope I'm retaining everything so when I take the tests, I can at least score an 80% or higher. Theres no retaking these tests, so if I fail any, its $250 down the drain.

For those of you that have taken this course, do you have any advice or tips for me? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The pretest and post are nearly identical so don't stress the real key is to make sure you copy your results. Then also use Mastercam help it has most the answers for review. It basically just keeps

reinforcing the principles over and over. My first test ticked me off cause I got 1 wrong that I knew was right.So I took pictures of the pretest and compared them to the post test. And found I was right

So in speaking with others I found all had this same situation. Smart dimension creates? And every answer you choose is wrong!! If you go to help it tells you the correct answer. But even then you will still get it wrong!! Hehee gotta love it. Anyhow Good Luck and don't get nervous!!!!!!!

Thanks for the responses. Done with the Design portion now, got 3 wrong but still an 85%. Dadunbar is right, all the answers are in the Help section, and none of it is timed, so you can work at your own pace. Im on Toolpaths now scored a 13/20 (Failing) on Pretest, and there are so many numbers the instructor is throwing around, i dont know what a lot of them even mean. Just random .002 here mark as 0 here....really confusing, but about to take the TOolpath test next. And how do you know which Holder to use for each tool?

Also on one cut, in the Parameters he puts in an approach distance of .350 and a Stepover of 10%.......Where are these numbers coming from? Do I not understand because I've never Machined much before?

If you have not machined much it will be a problem. Mastercam enhances your machining abilities. I have been machining for 35 yrs. and 1yr. on Mastercam. I would learn as much as I could on machining. There are just basics with machining that must be taken into consideration and they only come from experience. Another thing is you may be over analyzing all the moves. The course I believe is more of a template. That is why everyone keeps saying PLAY with it. Machinist generally Don't like engineers just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it will work in the machine.

It's the same with programmers just because you can make a program doesn't mean it's going to work. I have noticed many guys on this site that are boocoo machinist ,toolmakers or whatever.

And They know their stuff!! And it also shows in their programming. Don't sweat all the little moves and watch this site all you can. Good Luck!!