Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ref Point Glitch? 4th axis vertical

BK

Okay Gurus,

I am using the mpmaster post and doing some 4th axis work on a vertical. I have been using the "Ref Point" option for a safe tool change point. The strange thing is that on all of the ops I have only checked the "X" axis box, nothing else.

Here's the hitch, I have about 3 ops (drilling) that also posted a Z axis move on the ops using this tool change move. The Z axis value it is posting seems to be the drilling target depth.

Anyway it makes for an interesting tool change move when it moves X-6.0 and then oh say Z-4.0 on the same line.

Has anyone else noticed this issue and if so is there a workaround or fix?

The edit common parameters thing doesn't work on this thing either.

To get rid of the problem I had to give it a Z clear value, then un-check it and then it seems to post out right.

The real strange thing is how the mucked up Z values got into the un-checked and unused registers in the first place!

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Mill Level 1 V9 SP2 (Ouch), Win 2k Pro

+1 on that from Rekd. No matter then psot have seen where you always need to do that. I also use clerance when doing 4th axis in addition to any ref point if using one if I have the travel on the machine to allow clerance. i have also noticed when using mpmaster and doing 4th axis moves it will add an extra z move in there. I figured out in the post where and why it was doing thta and took it out. I cant remember exactly what I did but it only took a couple tries and I had it doing good.

Crazy Millman

Thanks for the info. I still can't figure out why it would "pick up" some weird Z value (even though they are "grayed out" in the Ref Box). I never used anything but X when defining the Ref Point.

I have noticed that if all ops are programmed for c/l of rotation and only use 1 work offset that the post forces out an XYA rapid move when indexing, then a Z position move after that. When I gave each index position a wo it posts out XYZA rapid moves WHHHEEE!!! It's not a bad thing since Z zero is at the c/l of rotation.

My $.02

Wel Bk when doing 4th axis stuff in Mastercam I have found you need to rememeber which view you are using to keep x pointed in the right direction as if you were looking at that surface as if it were in a top view look. If you look at the back and really pay attention to x it is facing the wrong direction so you then need to rotate it so x is going in the right direction this could possbile be what you are seeing also. I always use the center of rotation for origin and if not you will compound any clereance and retract moves.

Crazy Millman

[ 10-20-2003, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

Thanks Crazy Millman,

This deal is just on a vertical with a 4th on it so it's not too confusing. I know what you mean about getting your sense of direction outta whack when working on a horizontal type deal.

Origin is at the c/l of rotation.

I also wish MC would give you the angle of rotation instead of "The Matrix" deal when you click the info button of your named view.

Is there still a drag strip there in Carlsbad?

Just wonderin