Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rgh and Finish Pocketing

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving Forum

I have a pocket programmed to rgh and finish with a 3/4 dia tool, I simply rgh the pocket in steps and Leave desired stock then Finish with a Comp Pass,

The Machinist decided to use a 1.0 dia Tool instead of the 3/4, Im sure you can all see where this is going, the rghing is now 1/4 inch oversize , and the Comp pass is fine, so I am asked why we cannot pocket "with comp to allow tool options instead of the tool programmed. I say we are not going to be able to do this simply, the examples used against me are "canned Cycle" and I have not been able to make clear the difference in "Canned Cycles" and pocket routines from Mastercam. Your opinions are always appreciated

"Canned" pocket routines are typically VERY basic in my experience. Okuma has some canned milling stuff, but I haven't used them since I got Mastercam back in the mid-90's.

I would look into 2D HSM dynamic milling, it's so much faster and more efficient than the standard pocketing.

As for comp being on in roughing, I don't see how that would be possible unless you ditch the pocket cycle and go with 2D contour with multiple passes.

Thanks Guys.,

I could not agree with both of you more, but I like to see if I am the only one who does things the way I do, Jeff your HS and Dynamic were my arguments versus comping on and off as you said, the real kicker in this is we run a Cutter comp Macro that verifys there is comp in the control, the achinist edited this when his over size tool ALARMED out and did not consider the rghing not sure about you but I typically rgh closer than 1/8 inch

Thanks again guys and have a great Thanksgiving...

• Like 1

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving Forum

I have a pocket programmed to rgh and finish with a 3/4 dia tool, I simply rgh the pocket in steps and Leave desired stock then Finish with a Comp Pass,

The Machinist decided to use a 1.0 dia Tool instead of the 3/4, Im sure you can all see where this is going, the rghing is now 1/4 inch oversize , and the Comp pass is fine, so I am asked why we cannot pocket "with comp to allow tool options instead of the tool programmed. I say we are not going to be able to do this simply, the examples used against me are "canned Cycle" and I have not been able to make clear the difference in "Canned Cycles" and pocket routines from Mastercam. Your opinions are always appreciated

Okay so what if someone decided it was a good idea to take their truck and drive into the wall? How are you supposed to stop them from doing that? What if they decided it would be good idea to get a water hose and spray down the inside of the electronics cabinets while it was under power? Better yet what if they thought it was a good idea to through a piece of 2" bar stock 12' long in the back of a CNC lathe and run it at 10,000 rpms what would you do about it? I could care less about the canned or not canned cycles. Someone did something stupid they are responsible for it not you and drives me crazy when someone make a major and stupid mistake like that it turns into someone else fault because they are not doing their job correctly. Please let me know who this person is so I can tell my group of customers to steer clear of them.