Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

"Brick" or Miniature Computers

Charles Davis

I'm thinking of an alternative to my laptop computer:

>Laptops are very expensive

>You generally can't get the latest graphics cards, dual monitors, etc.

> You can't update any hardware without buying a new computer.

> The fastest Dell laptop is 1.7Ghz, whereas desktop computers are over 3Ghz now

>I don't mind having a separate monitor, keyboard & mouse at my office and home.

>I don't travel per se with my computer (no need to use on a plane, in hotel, etc).

I've been looking a mini-tower computers, and something called a "brick" computer, which is used by gamers. I could just unplug my "brick", carry it home, and plug it into my duplicate monitor(s) etc.

Does anyone have any experience with these miniature computers, or have any recommendations? What do you think of this idea?

I have one of these myself. It uses all the same hardware as a desktop pc. Our company build the chassis for them and our run quantity was +1 so was in the right place at the right time. I ended up attaching a handle to the lid on mine. Makes it perfect for gaming parties. Now I just need a light weight monitor that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

http://www.compactdesigns.com/store/MobileDetail.asp

Brent

Potentail downsides:

- Standard 3.5" hard drives are not as shock resistant as the 2.5" drives found in notebooks.

- Socketed components (cards, CPU, RAM) can work themselvs loose.

- Useless on longer trips where flying is involved (YMMV, but I *never* check anything I'm not willing to see destroyed or diverted to Outer Mongolia).

- Setting up at customer sites for a demo or the like is more complicated. Instead of a notebook and (possibly) a small projector, you need to pack a keyboard, mouse, monitor, power cables for all the above, and depend on power being avalible in a convenent place for you to do your demo.

FWIW, Dell's 1.7GHz CPU is a Pentium-M. The Pentium-M is a very different beast than the Pentium 4, making clock speed a poor indicator of performance. If battery life is a minor issue, take a look at Toshiba's Satellite line, particularly the P15 and P25. The P15 line offers Intel desktop CPUs with Hyper-Threading up to 2.8GHz, and the P25 offers desktop CPUs up to 3GHz, all with NVIDIA graphics. There are other notebook manufacuturers that use desktop CPUs as well. Battery life ain't great, but the performance is the same as a desktop.

Charles I have played with these shuttles a few times.

I have been thinking about one for a few years.

if you go to www.pcclub you can get some ideas on price and configs.

Look under cases and then shuttles.

there are 4 diffrent ones.

Oh I forgot like said earler they offer a carrying bag for all of them and some time they just throw them in.

[ 11-01-2003, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Shuttle makes several versions of this Brick computer Pent4 ish. They can take a couple of cards and generally have two simm slotts for memory. They are small enough to carry around.

Charles look in the Computer Edge here in town.

There are several companies here locally that sell the shuttle.

Sure, It should be a good idea for you.

You can have all the power and Graphics capability you need in a small box.

You ram will be limited to 1 gig depending on the motherboard.

I was using a company called AMC up in the escondido area.

The do a pretty good job.

If you into making one yourself you can go to Fry's to get all the parts.

They have the shuttle box with a presintalled motherboard P4 in a couple of configs.

In the pas I have also have two identical computers in two locations and a removable Hardisk bay. In this way you get all your info and programs and the package is smaller.

This is a little more expensive but you can built better and faster machines with no limitations.

These HD bays are avail at Fry's. biggrin.gif

quote:

I ended up attaching a handle to the lid on mine. Makes it perfect for gaming parties.

Thats what I got mine for......attaching a handle to it also cheers.gif

Mine only has a 200W powersupply I think. SB51G.

Neat little CPU cooling system in it.

We all get together and play Warcraft hooked up to a router.

Great fun.....

Much better than notebooks.....IMHO

Murlin

Saw these at Fry's electronics today. About $300 for the case and motherboard. Has a built-in GEforce 440 card, but also a PCI slot.

Pretty neat package. One possible problem is cooling. The sales guy said if you run them over 4-5 hours the CPU may slow down a bit for cooling, but figure I can have an auxillary external mondo fan that I can stick on the side for those 12hr+ work days.

Question: I have a Geforce 4200 card on a desktop computer. It has a standard (15 pin?) graphics output, plus a din type S-video connector.

Is it possible to run a flat screen monitor off the 15 pin connector, and another monitor or projector off the S-video at the same time?

Experimenting with the nvidia ti4200 card:

It appears you get svideo by turning off the computer, plugging in the svideo cable, and unplugging the 15 pin monitor cable.

It looks like some new nvidia cards using a DVI port allow you to connect a special Y-connecter and drive two separate monitors. Apparently this does not simply split the signal, but there are two outputs being pulled from two different sets of pins on the same connector.

I found some good info about this from the Dell site. With 15" flat screens getting dirt cheap, it makes sense to have a second monitor to do all your email and file mgt, and keep Mastercam on the other monitor.

That heat pipe seemed pretty robust, so it's hard to imagine this thing overheating.

Still, it's a pretty interesting package; a lot more powerful, configurable and cheaper than a laptop, and a lot more portable than even a mini-tower. They even have a carrying case just for them.

I think I'm going to go for it. I'll keep you informed.

Just ordered it from a company called Puget Custom Computers www.pugetsystems.com

They had reasonable prices, and on-line chat deal for hammering out the details, a lot of experience building these systems.

One thing to watch out for with the Shuttle boxes is they can't accept some Nvidia graphics cards due to the fan. They say it will take the Nvidia XGL980.

It's a screamer...

3.0 Ghz, 1GM RAM, Nvidia XGL980 128MB, 160GB hard drive

quote:

Question: I have a Geforce 4200 card on a desktop computer. It has a standard (15 pin?) graphics output, plus a din type S-video connector.

Is it possible to run a flat screen monitor off the 15 pin connector, and another monitor or projector off the S-video at the same time?

Charles yes you can run your monitor and TV at the same time with any Nvidia (I think) with a program called TVTool. Depending on the card, and whether or not it supports dual heads, with the new Nvidia drivers with NView, you could possibly support running the tv as a second monitor and not just as a mirror image of whats on the monitor. I'll search around a little bit and try and find you a link...I was using it with success at home with my 64mb geforce mx.

...oh and you dont need to disconnect anything if your just trying to switch back and forth between monitor and tv regularly...you just need to turn the monitor off because it keeps searching for a signal...I dont know why it doesnt just go into powersave mode...but it doesnt.

Zero teh getting ready to dump some cash on a 5900fx ultra biggrin.gif

[ 11-10-2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Zero ]

quote:

Experimenting with the nvidia ti4200 card:

It appears you get svideo by turning off the computer, plugging in the svideo cable, and unplugging the 15 pin monitor cable.

It looks like some new nvidia cards using a DVI port allow you to connect a special Y-connecter and drive two separate monitors. Apparently this does not simply split the signal, but there are two outputs being pulled from two different sets of pins on the same connector.

I found some good info about this from the Dell site. With 15" flat screens getting dirt cheap, it makes sense to have a second monitor to do all your email and file mgt, and keep Mastercam on the other monitor.

Charles i have a little box you use for what you want to do.

this takes the signal and boots it to use with a monitor and projection.

We use them at all the schools and collages that I tech at to do what you want.

Or get the TI4600 or the FX 5600 they come with dual monitor support.

Charles....I only found one shuttle that would support the intel HT chip with 533 bus.

It is the sb51g. Maybe I am not looking in the right place.

Only thing is that it will only support a 4x AGP.

I will have to sacrifice a little video for the HT.....

There are about 8 diffrent shuttle main boards to put in one, but only one socket 478 that I found.

I like the floating point for Mastercam.....

Murlin

I thought I'd peek in on this forum, as I saw it was directing traffic to our website. Charles, it fits! No problems whatsoever. Looking forward to sending out your machine tomorrow.

Jon Bach

Owner - Puget Custom Comptuers

------------------------------------

http://www.pugetsystems.com

[email protected]

(425) 885-7014 voice / fax