Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CIMCO edit V5 problem

rickt

The tool path statistics function no longer works.  It is shown in the menu, but when clicked on nothing happens.  Everything else works.

I have tried copying from a working copy the complete folder.  I have tried doing a reinstall of Mastercam.  I believe that there is some other file that I am missing because when I copied the folder from the working copy my communication settings stayed the same as in the copy that didn't work and not as they were in the working copy. 

My next thing to try would to uninstall Mastercam, delete anything from Mastercam and Cimco in the registry then install Mastercam.

I am running Mastercam X6 Level 3 MU 3 Cimco edit version 5.11.12  and Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  I know this function had worked in the past, but something changed but I can't say what.  Any ideas before I mess with the registry?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

Thanks Jay

Looking at my registry, I have, HKEY_CURRENT_USER / software / CNC software / X6 / stuff but no editors.  In the CNC software folder I have leftover X5 and V9 mill and V9 design and some other things.  None of them have any editors folder at any level.

In the HKEY_ LOCAL_MACHNE / software / CNC Software / Nothing about editors

At this point I am gathering information and will do a cleaning and reinstall towards the end of the year unless someone offers something easier to try.  I am doing some research on registry cleaners and I may give one of them a try after I uninstall Mastercam.  If I don't use a cleaner I am thinking of deleting the CNC software folders in both locations of the registry them reinstall Mastercam.

Again thank you Jay

Rick

Rick,

Just as a side note, yes it is a good idea to occasionally tidy up your windows registry anyway.

Whether you run Mastercam or not, and especially if you install and un-install different kinds of programs on a regular basis, the registry gets cluttered up with some unnecessary junk that sometimes can cause problems.

There are quite a few registry cleaners out there, and many of them are free.

I like Wise Registry Cleaner: http://download.cnet.com/Wise-Registry-Cleaner/3000-2086_4-10605508.html

It's free, fast, and fairly simple to use. :thumbsup:

I am only running X6 so I will delete the CNC software folders in the registry if the registry cleaner Jim recommended doesn't do it for me.  I have relatives visiting next week so this will give me a good reason to be unavailable. :laughing:

Again thanks to Jay and Jim and I will report back the results.

Rick

I plan to do the reinstall this weekend but before I do I have another question. 

I have a desktop and laptop setup.  It is the desktop that I am having the tool path statistics problem with.  As mentioned in my first post I copied to the desktop from the laptop the CIMCO edit 5 folder and all of the subfolders over to the desktop.  On the laptop I have 2 machines set up for DNC and on the desktop I am setup for only 1 machine .  After doing this CIMCO edit starts up on the desktop fine, everything works except for tool path statistics but I have only 1 machine setup for DNC.  Somewhere there is some more file or files associated to CIMCO edit that I am not transferring.  Any ideas?

Thank you

Rick

Try to delete the files within the folders "Data" and "Cfg" inside CIMCO's install path. They will be recreated in the next launch.

Cimco edit is a very straightforward app and does not interact that much with the registry like Mc. Uninstalling Mc or tweaking registry will have no effect in the toolpath statistics I think.

Of course I can be wrong about that...

Daniel

That is what I will try first this weekend, but in that I have copied over complete folders from a system that was working I have my doubts.  Because the DNC settings didn't copy over it seems to me that there is something else somewhere that is being missed.  Maybe in the registry.  Speaking of the registry,  in one of Jay's early posts, he showed the registry tree having a branch off the CNC software folder for editors.  My system doesn't have that on my desktop or laptop. 

Jay

I have looked at the full version of CIMCO edit and may go that route but it really is more than I need and I really want to solve this problem.  I understand that being a Mastercam user it would be discounted.  Could you PM me the details?

Thanks all

Rick

I give up.  I had tried the things that were suggested, but none worked.

Jay suggested that I download the CIMCO editor for a trial to see if there were maybe something wrong with my computer.  I did that before starting the removal and reinstall of Mastercam and it seems as if all function work including the tool path statistics. 

I then uninstalled Mastercam, deleted all folders in programs, programs (x86), My documents, public documents, etc., cleaned anything in the registry file that I could find related to CIMCO , CNC software.  Rebooted. Installed Mastercam X6 64 bit first release.  Started Mastercam, started clean.  Configure start/exit for the CIMCO editor.  Tried to edit a program and  tool path statistics still not working.  Checked the editor settings and they are the same as before, not the defaults.  Somewhere there if a file that the editor uses for the settings that I can't find.

I thought that maybe the install disk for X6 may be bad.  Installed X5 32 bit.  Tried the editor in X5.  Same thing.  And again the settings where not the defaults. Started X6 and selected the editor in X5 at the default editor.  Same thing.

Thanks to all who offered ideas.

Rick