Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Defining insert drills

PKrogman

I don't know exactly what he's asking but I'm assuming that he's drilling off-center to make a bigger hole which the drills are 'designed' to do to eliminate rough boring. I have never had much success doing this without heavy vibration but I guess if the tool and machine are very rigid it would work. BTW, I would still use G97 for this.

C

quote:

My guess is he's talking about a core drill, Like trepaning that leaves a slug. I guess

I think this is exactly what he is talking about.

I have used these core drills before.

They actually worked pretty good,because we could make a different part with the left-over slug.

I guess it may be a little difficult to "describe" this tool in mastercam. rolleyes.gif

• 1 year later...

What is the best way to define a core drill(insert drill) can i make the output have the drill dia. this will force the surface speed?

Insert drills present a unique problem as there are two non symetrical tips and a complex form at the bottom of the hole if not drilled through.

For a practical workaround draw a line from deepest Z point (use c/l drill) to shallowest Z point (use o/d drill). I know that this is not technically correct (there is a xxxx in the center from a insert drill) however the resultant form pretty well shows the remaining stock.

Core drills are another issue. With a pre existing hole as in pre drill or castings these deep DOC inexpensive reamers remove stock quickly and efficiently with a minimum tendancy to follow perhaps off center holes.

Try the drill point calculator. Enter od, taper angle (usually 45 deg) and face (tip) diameter, select add to depth for good results.

If you want to core out existing holes at max efficiency e-mail me [email protected] and I will send you .MC9 file of my insert core drill

that has balanced, symetrical pockets, using low cost trigon inserts, that makes short work of balanced boring a start hole at lowest posible cost.

Charlie

These guys keep laughing at me at the auto parts store. Had to draw them a picture. I used to have a round thing that had 710 on a pipe on my valve cover. They turned the picture around 180 deg, and keep laughing at me. Rude to say the least.

I do almost all of my roughing with insert drills. I usually draw my insert drills like a drill, but define them like a boring bar. The top of the drill is at X0 & the front of the drill is at Z0. When I do the initial drill cycle, just set the X value to the radius of the drilled hole. After that, start roughing. The tool needs to be comped like a boring bar in the machine, but G96 will work.

Leif