Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

creating threads in solids

thedoctor

• 12 years later...

I have tried to get solid sweep to work to cut threads I don't know how many times. Every time I try that I get the Parasolid® Kernal Interface Error: PK Error Code:999 - Geometry fails to pass checks. I have tried this at work and at home and I always get the same results. It doesn't work in the top of the front view now matter what I try.

Ok. Wow, I think I finally figured out why. I was looking at Scott's example and saw that his triangle was closer to the size of the actual thread cut. I think I was drawing my triangle too big and it was overlapping on the OD face of the thread. Does that make sense? I figured this out by creating a swept surface and saw that my threads were fine on the ID, but the OD face was overlapping itself. I offset the outer face of my triangle in to be a diameter .02" larger than the OD of the bolt I was making and voilà!

^^ If you make your triangle (60deg lathe tool) tool large, it "intersects" itself with each revolution, thus erroring out.

If you throw a big chamfer on the nose of the bolt first, then sweep the threads it looks very nice.

Sidebar- Try bringing in sw file with history tree and look how hole wizard threaded holes are created. Very cool. Basically a positive bolt is in there, then a boolean remove to make the id threads.