Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

high feed titanium help

brandon b

Hope this makes sense.

does 45 minutes toolife an index on these round inserts sound about right? I don't have much experience using insets. Milling ti 6-4 on a fadal. 325 rpm and 30 ipm. 035 doc. 1.25 stepover. This part I used surface pocket.

The other part I'm working on is the one I posted earlier today. I used opti core last year when a ran these parts. Using the same parameters.

My question, is opti core a good choice for a high feed cutter? By that I mean, keeping the tool engaged will prolong life? opti core will come in and out of the cut a lot. Although surface pocket stays in the cut most of the time ,its path is not smooth and slams the tool in each directional change.

The tool i have is Kyocera 2 inch button high feedd

post-46122-0-92705400-1423716733_thumb.jpg

post-46122-0-87635900-1423716765_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Because an Opti-core is designed for full depth of cut and then step ups where necessary, I would not use this path with a feed mill because their speed & feeds are based on a depth and axial cut.

I would in turn use a Core Roughing where you can control the depth of cut and axial step......while taking advantage of highfeed motion

Ok. I'll try that. . How does all the in and out of the cut motion of that toolpath affect toolife?

Titanium really isn't that bad to cut, I would be more concerned on an interrupted cut than I would on an entry and it eases into the the cut

Brandon,

I'm currently using a WALTERS feed mill 2" dia. F4030.UT45.051.Z04.02 with their insert P23696-2.0 WSM35S. I'm doing a face mill and removing  060"" of material for depth and a width of .500"  I'm running it at 164 SFM @.098 CPR. I get around 45 minutes of life per edge (6 sided insert). I also use the same insert on a helical mill path using a their 3" inch cutter body I run it at a depth of cut per revolution of .012" same surface footage as above but a chip load of .460 per rev (yes .460) (6 inserts). The part is circular and has a cross section of about 2" and I remove around .185 of material. My tool life is usually 3 parts per edge. It's done on a FADAL, FANUC 18i MB control. The load meter never gets above 30%. Total time remove the material is about 3.5 minutes.   :cheers:

When I program feed mills I usually use the Opticore toolpath,  I think it makes a  smoother tool path that is easier on the tool.  Also, it is usually cuts the part a couple of minutes faster than using surface rough pocket or core roughing.   

Looking at the picture of your part, the outside profile the part looks pretty shallow.  My 2 cents is that you would be better off cutting that feature of the part with a end mill using a full depth of cut and small step over using a tool path like Dynamic 2D or Opticore.

Depending on the shape of your part feed mills can be great for roughing some parts close  to net shape. But, I think endmills can cut shallow 2D shapes just as fast and do not have to watched as close as by the machinist or operator.