Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

import level names from solidworks or parasolid files

Tim Pruett

I posted this same topic back in version X7 and here is what Pete Rimkus said,

Are you asking for the assembly component names? If so, that is not yet possible in Mastercam X7 but we hope to add that functionality in a future release. You're not the first to ask for it. It would name both the solids in the Mastercam SolidsMgr and it would name the levels that we place each individual file on.
Import Solids History won't help you in this case I'm afraid.

Pete Rimkus
CNC Software, Inc.

Is this available yet?
I can't import solidworks history cause I don't have solidworks on my computer.
But it would be nice if it would name the levels like Cimatron does.

Tim,

In X9, the SW importer generates unique names for each imported solid (both solid and level names) but they are simply the names of the assembly followed by (1), (2), etc.

Component names can be a funny thing when trying to extract them via the SW DocumentMgr API, and there are a few issues we have not yet tackled.

So, in summary, the SolidWorks importer still does not include what you are requesting.

Edited by Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc.

Pete,

It's not just the solidworks importer. I would like to have the "levels" named like the file I'm importing. Even if it's a, step, parasolid, or solidworks. Whenever Cimatron imports a parasolid file their "sets" have all the info that was in the parasolid file. Ex. set1=ejector, set2=cover, set3=slides, etc. etc. . It would be a huge time saver for me. I import files all the time that may have as many as 2 or 300 levels. 

Thanks for the reply,

Tim

Tim,

Understood. There are lots of ways that data is organized in the different CAD formats and we have not yet been able to pull things in and retain those names. Between trying to handle some format's "Groups",  "Sets", "Layers", "Components", and whatever else is out there, there is certainly more we can do.

In the example Parasolid files that you mention, what are "ejector", "cover", etc ? Are they separate solid bodies? Parasolid really doesn't support layers or levels.

Thanks for the information

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the info. I hope this is something that can be accomplished in the future. It would save a lot of time.

After reviewing this a little futher, I was mistaken about the parasolid importing the level names. I was just going by what one of the "cimatron" guys told me. When I asked him to show me, he couldn't do it.

Very frustrating. Thanks again,

Tim