Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how to get cross section?

Gary

I put a file (3000_opt1) on the ftp site in the mc9 folder and would like to have some of you pros take a look and see what method you use on something like this to get a cross-section and geometry for this part, say to turn on a lathe. Any thoughts or suggestion would be great. I think i have what i need on this but it took me some work and time to get and i know there must be better ways. Thanks in advance Gary

I'd do the following:

- Create a WCS that located the part correctly for turning on a lathe/move the part so it is located correctly (whichever is easeir for you). My first couple of attempts are close, but not quite there. I'll fiddel with it a little more and upload it if you need it.

- Use Create|Curve|Slice to generate the cross section.

When I did this, I noticed a sizeable undercut in the part. How are you going to cut that? I ask becasue noting is coming immideatly to mind when I look at it.

Hi i'm just cutting the inside profile they outside is made by the cavity and the cores are held in by the top plate. The undercut is actually made by a lip on the cavity top. The outer part of the under cut is on the core side of the plates. I set the ucs also and did a slice but the geo. was a pain to chain. Alot of trimming required. Thanks for the help on this i appreiciate it.

Look in the MC9_Files folder for 3000_opt1-rick.mc9

Apperently, I don't understand the WCS well enough to use it the way I'd like to for this job, so I used Xform|Between Views to position it after turning one of the green NURBS curves into an arc so I could find the center of the ring. Source plane was the converted arc (with Z pointing away from the part), destinaiton plane was the Side plane. The resulting profile was about .0004 behind Z-zero, so I used Create|Line|Vertical to project the midpoint of the resulting arc at the tip to X zero, then used Xform|Translate|Between points to bring it up to Z zero.

Hope that helps.

That’s about how I did it also. I made one of the lines into a curve ( the highest one) then did a surface fill holes to pick that face for my UCS source face. Then I set construction plane to 3-d and moved the part from the center of the arc I created to the origin. Then I rotated into a lathe position. The reason for this is the customer supplied a cross section of the part to cut on a print with no dimensions and my boss acts like it is a 20sec thing to do (even though he can't send an email) so I was a little pissed and wanted you experienced users to have a look at the part. I know they were probably using a solid model for there cross section. It is a piece of cake for me a solids but with surfacing it is different ball game. Anyway thanks for all the help Rick it is greatly appreciated. I'll have to wait till I get to work to get the file.

One approach to this would have been to turn it into a solid, get rid of all the useless clutter, and generate the few entities actually required for the move. Solids|Next Menu|From Surfaces works fine on this file. Look for 3000_OPT1-SOLID.MC9. I would have suggusted that, but I didn't know if you had solids on your lathe seat.

Given the messy nature of this file (lots and lots of edges, even as a solid), I'd still create the slicing curve and do the toolpathing from there though.

[ 11-29-2003, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Rick Damiani ]