Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Does it need a buffer?

So here is the plan. We post out a program using subout attached to mI1. mi1 is the number of times to sub. If mi1 = 4 then you get g54 g55 g56 & g57 posted out, each calling up the same sub program with the new position. All fine and dandy, until you try to do that on a rotary and the rotary rotates inside the sub. Because the g54-g57 are setup before the tool path is seen the post doesn't know that the sub has rotated. I know every ones first thought is the same as mine, ether end the sub before rotations or send the axis home at the end of a sub. That's not how the boss wants it. Simple as that. He does want the tool to go home if B rotates but only if B rotates. So, the big question is, can I get the post to read ahead and know if the tool B axis ends at a different place than it started? I assume this needs a buffer. Never done a buffer. Don't want to start.

Using 'mi1$' is a bad plan, right off the bat.

Use any other 'misc. Integer', except for 'mi1$'. Why? Because 'mi1$' is used by default in most posts to control the Work Coordinate setting. 0-1 output G92 options. '2' outputs the G54 Work Offset series.

The only exception to that rule is the "Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post", which uses every Misc Integer, except for MI1$. It shouldn't matter too much for the Gen Fan 5X Mill Post anyway, because that post does not support Subprogram output.

So, if this is for your Haas Post (3 or 4 Axis), then keep going. Just use a different Misc Int.

If you are trying to do this for a 5X (based on the Gen Fan 5X Mill Post), then stop.

The post I got was modified by someone else who started with the mpmaster, cleared all the misc and added their own. mi1, mi7 and mi8 were the only ones free. I just went with mi1 after checking to confirm that it was not in use. The sub programs are working great, that isn't really the issue, well, not the root of the issue. The issue is more on how they want it formatted. B axis must rotate out side of the sub if it does not end where it started inside of the sub. I have been reading about buffers and am becoming more confident that this is the path I will have to take if I want this to work the way they want it.