Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Speed/Feed tool library question

JVizzi

Now that I have some parts under my belt, and I'm understanding alot of the different toolpaths and how they work, I want to make a tool library for myself. My question, is it better to tweak the speeds/feeds by material settings or speeds/feeds by the tool settings. It seems to me, that the material speed/feed settings don't give you much flexability. For instance, for drilling, it wants to set % of base SFM at 60%. Well, if I set the base for 6061 alum. to 1000SFM then it would recomend a drill run at 600sfm? seems high, and I don't see how I can change that percentage

I don't want to get halfway thru my library and have to go back and change it all again.

"Better" is a difficult thing to answer.  I generally recommend creating a tool library per material rather than driving by the material.  Reason being it is possible to get much more specific about the speeds and feeds for your tools if they are defined in the tool library.  Driving a tool by material will give general speeds and feeds for each tool.  For example, a given 1/2" carbide endmill.  The speeds and feeds can easily be calculated based on the number of flutes and desired SFM and feed/tooth, but it does not take into account the cutting length.  If you have a short cutting length, 1/2" that could be driven much harder than a long cutter length 2".

That is the same thing I was thinking, to make a library for each material. I don't see the point of basing it off the material, because how can you set a base chipload for all tools used on any given material? every tool needs a specific chip load based on its diameter.