Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help! How to lathe this part

Rocky16

You can turn any round profile with controlled threading (G32 on fanuc) using any round insert that is smaller than the profile radius.

- Draw/extract the profile of the thread (single, not the whole repeating thread)

- Create a finishing operation on the profile

- Save the toolpath geometry in backplot

- Put some points over the toolpath geometry, the more points, the more accurate and smooth the profile will be

- Break the toolpath geometry at the points

- Post the finishing cycle to get the coordinates.

- Add G0 in front of each coordinate and G32 Z-(desired depth) after it

That should do it. Because Mastercam cannot do this automatically I am going to write a script myself next time I need to turn multi-start thread with custom profile (it was quite a drudge the last time :)

looks like a broom thread.

I think that's what its called.

I recently cut one of these but had to use a g32 cycle as stated above.

if you use a canned cycle it tried to feed in on a 30 deg angle to the correct depth and didn't work out right.

we had to use the mating part for a gage. lucky we had it because I don't know how we would have properly measured it.

I do not know how to lathe this spiral, can you help me?

Material 9310 steel hrc 36-42

Is there a reason you don't share this as a Mastercam already set up instead of having everyone who looks at it have to set it up?

Have you asked your reseller in Vietnam?