Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Connect End Points

Code_Breaker

There are times when I have to backplot a toolpath, manipulate the geometry to make good cutter path (old school).

In SmartCam, you have an option when selecting geometry for toolpath to connect to nearest endpoint.

Does X9 have a chook that will do this?

Don Dawson

Corona, CA

I'm not sure what you mean Don?

You mention "you have an option when selecting geometry for toolpath to connect to nearest point". What does that mean? When selecting geometry for a toolpath, you are either using Chains, or using Points/Arcs (for drilling or circle milling tool paths).

I often backplot tool paths, and save them as geometry. Most of the time these are Contour tool paths, and I'm setting the "Depth" and "Top of Stock" to 0.0 Incremental. Then I set Feed Plane and Retract Plane to .1 Incremental.

When I backplot, I simply turn off the "Rapid moves", then hit the save button, and save that geometry to a level. Then the only thing I need to do is delete the vertical plunge entry move lines.

Afterwards I then chain the geometry for a Project tool path...

Ok, I get what you are desiring. You want to connect the chains with lines, so that there is just a single "chain" of geometry that is already connected.

I don't think there is an option for that, C-hook, or otherwise.

One thing that I've done to get around this is utilize the new "Surface High Speed - Project" tool path. The reason I use this one specifically, is due to the extra "lead in/out" options with the Vertical entry/exit arcs.

When creating the toolpaths, I can also use the "gap distance" to determine when to keep the tool down, and when to force a retract. By the way I add my chains, I can make the toolpath "zig-zag" in some areas (like a floor), but then retract and only climb cut in other areas (like next to a vertical wall).

This works because when you select your chains, you can control the start/stop locations. If you use the "Vector" chaining option, you can basically click the start/end points of a "line" that crosses the chains you are selecting, and Mastercam will automatically "zig-zag chain" the chains. (it will reverse the chain direction on every-other chain in the series.)