Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Copper in the Coolant

MetalMarvels

I am currently using Swiss-lube blasocut 2000SW in my mill (about 15%). I mostly run aluminum, but was running a sizeable job in brass recently. While running the brass, my coolant color gradually changed from a milk-color to a pastel green - indicative of a high copper content (I think...). My question of the forum members: Has anyone has an adverse experience with a coolant that has picked up copper ions causing problems with other metals (i.e. plating out on the other metal). As an interesting side-note, a quicky test with a lead billet showed that it did plate the lead with copper (as expected). I have not had problems with aluminum, steel, or stainless steel so far (based on the dissimilar metals "corrosion" charts, I wouldn't expect a problem, but....). I have cleaned out the fines from the sump, but hate to dump the tank if I don't have too. Any experience with this problem???

MetalMarvels,

I also use this coolant - (ART 870) - acording to the MSDS sheet the only metal it is not compatibile with is Magnesium.

I cut a job a month or so back, from brass, I had no problems with the coolant? confused.gif

Just a thought - what lube are you using?

Sorry not much help.

Mark A.

From the MSDS -

quote:

Stability: Stable

Conditions to avoid: Avoid direct solar irradiation of containers. Good and safe housekeeping procedures suggest that all combustible materials be stored away from strong oxidizers.

Incompatibility (materials to avoid): Magnesium

Strong oxidizers

concentrate:

end use dilutions:

Concentrate:

End use dilutions:

Hazardous decomposition or byproducts: Thermal decomposition (concentrate) above 176°F (80°C): Trace amounts of HCl.

Hazardous polymerization or byproducts: Will not occur.

We have had alot of problems with corrosion due to copper mixing especially with aluminum eek.gif . We run a ton of berillium copper and we have found that REGARDLESS of what coolant we try, we have to clean the machine, DUMP the previous coolant (or put in another machine or 2), then refill fresh coolant for the next job. We have had several jobs where not dumping the coolant has caused corrosion & discoloration with the standard rejection of parts pending customer review. Your machines will suffer corrosion as well (we have 11 Haas machines and a few have had a problem with corrosion). Email me and I will try to see if I can get you some pictures of what we are experiencing. HTH cheers.gif

Thanks for the inputs. I am currently using Mobil Vactra #2 as the way lube. It seems to separate nicely from the coolant. No odor (bacteria) problems after several months use. The brass however is leeching out copper at a fairly high rate. I will have to dump the whole sump and steam clean it....... nuts...

Thanks again for the replies!

cheers.gif