Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Retracts....

Lord Wukits

I just discovered Hybrid HST. I used to do scallops, but my VAR suggested the change. It cuts the size of my post to about half of what they were before. I'm lovin' it. 

One thing is that there always seems to be [seemingly] random retracts. Scallop was loved due to the constant cutting. Hybrid is amazing due to the efficiency. What are some tips and suggestions for minimizing retracts, or controlling them? If you could also explain why you did it or approached it they way you did as well would be of great help. It would provide a better understanding for me going forward, and things to keep in mind.

The part is a mold for a thermoformer, and I create a layup on a 3 axis router [3/16" oversized] of 1" MDF. THis is epoxied together, and finished on the same machine [Onsrud].

My approach was to rough it down to .050" off the surface with a .1875" stepover.
Then a [copied tool path] pass at the surface with a .060" stepover.
Finishing with a pencil.
first two operations are with a .5000" ball endmill, followed by a .2500" ball endmill for the pencil.

I removed the second toolpath which was a copy of the first with the above changes, due to file size.

50-2354, MOLD FACING.Z2G

Well golly, That came out  soo much better. THe material I am running is MDF, it's a constant battle to justify the need for more suited material.

You are correct I have much set to the standard defaults. Most of this is due to the lack of any official training, self taught for about 10 months now.

Many thanks, for the insight.

Well golly, That came out  soo much better. THe material I am running is MDF, it's a constant battle to justify the need for more suited material.

You are correct I have much set to the standard defaults. Most of this is due to the lack of any official training, self taught for about 10 months now.

Many thanks, for the insight.

It'll all come together with time.

experiment with the settings and admire the differences.

cheers