Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis

sp044

I am confused.gif as to why, for example, if I want to rotate my 4th axis 180 to work on the bottom side of a part, it only works if I rotate the T/C plane 180. If I choose system veiw 4[bottom] it looks good in backplot but if you look at the numbers, X- is +.

Vertical Okuma, 4th axis is horiztontal, inline with X, on right side facing left.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Sounds of Toy Story's Woody trying to put the batteries back in the Baby Monitor are ringing in my head...

"... Plus is positive, minus is negative..."

James teh "...I gotta get more often..." cuckoo.gifcuckoo.gifcuckoo.gifcuckoo.gif

Didn't mean to hijack... well..., yes I did, but,... I'm still sorry. biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Because the matrix does not rotate that way. It rotates about Y or Z depending on your viewpoint I believe instead of X like you probably want. What's the problem with using T/C planes? They are quite simple to build. Granted not as easy as GView - Bottom, but, you know exactly what you're getting, where and when.

JM2C

quote:

I see that rotating the T/C plane is suggested. My question is, why choosing system veiw 4[bottom] does not work.

Becasue system view 4 is system view 1 rotated 180DEG about the Y axis (try Gview-rotate-+X Up to see this). For generating code to run with an A axis, you need all your rotations to be about the X axis.

FWIW, the easyest way to get the angles you are looking for and the rotations the way you want, use Cplane-Rotate to set the Cplane, Tplane = Cplane to set the Tplane, and toggle the axises (axi?) on with F9 so you can see where + and - are. i.e. think of the pre-defined views as ways to look at/draw the part, and generate the rotations by rotating the planes.