Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tombstone C-Hook

Simtech

Tried out a demo version of a competitive product that has an automated Tombstone creation function for Tombstone size (4,6,8 faces) and part origins for each face.

Question: Is this something very difficult to do in a C-Hook and if not, what would be the first step in developing this C-Hook.

I've programmed in Pascal, Fortran, Basic, Mastercam posts, a bit of Visual Basic and stuff like that. How hard is it to jump into C-Hook programming?

C-Hook development basically comes down to C or C++ programming using the Mastercam API. If you're comfortable with C, you can develop C-Hooks that typically don't require any type of UI. On the other hand, if you'd like a UI that looks similar to Windows-based apps, C++ is the tool of choice. You can get started playing around with C-Hook development, courtesy of the Mastercam CD. The C-Hook development kit is an install option. It consists of all the C/C++ header files required to develop C-Hooks as well as the associated documentation.

C and C++ are currently the only languages you can use to develop C-Hooks. If COM or COM+ is considered during the development of future versions of Mastercam, then it may be possible to use COM-friendly languages such as Visual Basic or Borland Delphi to develop third-party Mastercam apps.

[This message has been edited by Bullines (edited 05-07-2001).]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Simtec,

If you are not familiar with C++, I would suggest two things. First there is a really nice website devoted to software development - http://www.wrox.com . I'd start there. Then there is a book that has helped me tremendously - Ivor Horton's Beginning C++ The Complete Language. I've not see it myself but C++ for Dummies is not really a good book. You can read the reviews.

Next, you'll need a copy of Visual C++ 6.0 (Which is the most current to the best of my knowledge). This will run you between $400 and $600(USD) depending on the current rebates available.

Have fun!

------------------

James Meyette

James is right. "Dummies" books are typically terrible as far as learning programming languages go. If you're looking for a second C++ reference book, I suggest "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup. He created the language so you know the info is accurate. Also, the MSDN website (http://msdn.microsoft.com) is also good for Microsoft Visual C++ related info. You can search the language refrences without being a member of MSDN. Finally, Microsoft has a lot of newsgroups (news://msnews.microsoft.com) and a good number devoted to its Visual C++ product.

The most recent version of Microsoft Visual C++ is 6.0 SP5 and it comes in three flavors (Standard, Professional and Enterprise). If you're dveloping C-Hooks, you don't need the Enterprise version. The Professional version is probably the best choice for C-Hooks due to its compiler tweaks, but the Standard version should also be fine. For a place to start, you could try Central Direct (http://www.cendirect.com). They're based out of LaSalle, Quebec and usually ship the next business day after receiving your order.

Hope this helps.

Note:

You can use other C++ development enviroments such as the ones from Borland but keep this in mind. CNC uses Microsoft Visual C++ to develop Mastercam and the C-Hook Developers Guide that's included on the Mastercam CD has a Visual C++ slant to it. So even though comparable Borland products are less expensive than Microsoft's, it's worth spending the extra money on Microsoft Visual C++. Especially if you're a new developer.

[This message has been edited by Bullines (edited 05-07-2001).]