Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

introduction - here at educate myself

tbody321

hello forum members,

I am here to try and get some information on mastercam training, its difficulties and how it compares to other software. I have been a unigraphics  (designer not cam) user for 20 plus years, currently using nx10, am about to purchase my own personal license for home based business. I watched a few mastercam videos on you tube

and it seems like a great program and very intuitive. The video I watched created a block and then simple machined surfaces and I was somewhat able to follow along.... this is why im here...  ill list a few questions, and will greatly appreciate any comments / suggestions you may have.

the unigraphics cam package is way too pricey and it didn't see as easy to follow as the master cam video I watched.

1.  does mastercam allow you to do your solid modeling within its application and do you find it easy to learn. having only ug experience ive tried no other cad software.

2. are you able to upload models from ugnx and use these files and apply the cam tool paths etc to them....

3.  does mastercam offer classroom style training, if so, how do I locate a class near me.

sincerely, tbody

Mastercam uses the Siemens NX solid kernel, from X8 onward it has the Siemens synchronous technology in it as well. It is very easy to solid model with Mastercam. If you can model in NX you can easily model in Mastercam.

Best bet for opening other files is either Parasolid or Stp/Step. Yes you can tool path off of these and other files.

Your local reseller will offer training as well as local colleges. 

• Like 1

Hi tbody,

Welcome to the forums!

I'll answer your questions in order:

1. Mastercam does allow you to create solid models! We have a book that covers some of the functions, you can check out what we cover in this free sample: https://www.emastercam.com/files/file/1254-mastercam-2018-solids-training-tutorial-sample-pdf/
  2. I believe Mastercam can open Unigraphics/NX files but it requires an additional translator to be able to do so. The translator can be acquired from your Mastercam reseller.
  3. Your Mastercam reseller should have training classes available at their facility. Many colleges will also have Mastercam courses available.

As far as self-study is concerned, there are many options available for printed or digital books and videos. Here at eMastercam we have many books and videos to choose from. the cheapest way to get access is to buy our sitewide subscription which gives you access to all of our browser-based eBooks and streaming videos for $39.99 a month, $129.99 for 4 months, or $359.99 for a year. For the month of December we have the 1-year subscription on for $215, which will give you access to all of our current materials as well as any new material we launch (e.g., Mastercam 2019 materials). This can be found here: https://www.emastercam.com/store/product/1184-emastercam-sitewide-subscription/

• Like 2