Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock Model generating time

rchipper

I am taking the Advanced Design/Mill class, MastercamU and the project I am on literally took 40 minutes for the stock model to generate and even at that it locked up the program. I do not know the specs of my computer other than it has a SSD drive and a video card with 2GB and 8GbB memmory but the processor speed blah blah is foreign to me.  There is a stock solid in the tree prior to this one that is using a optirough and a optirest tool path that I am using as the stock definition solid for this one. I tried opening up the tolerances on everything but that did not seem to help the latest stock solid. I tried generating the model at work using the computer there and it still took 13 minutes, but did complete it. 

Can anybody advise me on what I might do to improve this. I am in a world of hurt if I have to wait that long for things to generate. I am not sure if sharing the project is okay, if it is I am willing to try sharing it if it would help. 

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or tips.

1 hour ago, rchipper said:

Can anybody advise me on what I might do to improve this.

There has been a long thread on this recently in the Industrial Forum which might be useful for you.

Personally I find the Stock Model thing a bit glitchy and the regen times can get excessive, but people use it because it is their customers preference.....even very powerful computers have a problem with this, especially if you have several "Stock Models" on the go....

I have the choice so I save an .STL from a verify up to the OP previous to the Optirest and use this "result" .STL for the Optirest, select remaining stock, CAD file. You can select it from the Tool page in the tree or the Geometry Tab.

Sometimes the Optirest will lose "contact" with the .STL which will generate a warning "No CAD file selected" in which case you just reselect, but there are no regen of stock model issues. If you change OPS previous to the Optirest you will have to generate a new .STL.

You don't have to worry about some customer preference so give that a try......

17 minutes ago, rchipper said:

I will try that in order to get through.

The way I described is the "old school" way you had to do it before "Stock Models" came along. With all the problems people seem to have with "Stock Models" I just never made the change, if it ain't broke.....

In the future how complex your stock model is (more complex generally equals more regen time) and how many you need might be your driver for which method to select.

If you need more help quote me on something and it will flag me when I sign in, normally every couple of hours or so......

• Thanks 1