Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Smoothing Operations

LucasGC

Hi friends. 

I'm having an issue with my toolpaths being very jittery and not providing a smooth finish.

I'm using the 3D raster finishing toolpath with holder tilt turned on.

I've used it with the holder tilt turned off, and it works wonderfully, albeit with some slow movements in seemingly smooth geometry.

I've played with the tolerance filter in the operation, and found that the bigger the tolerance (.1 mm) causes jerky movements while a smaller tolerance (.01) makes a very smooth toolpath - when the holder tilt is turned off. 

Now that I've turned it on and effectively made this a 5ax operation, as soon as the holder tilt engages it returns to it's jerky motion. 

Another problem is that the holder tilt seems to engage when unnecessary, I have 2mm of holder clearance and the tilt occurs when it is nowhere near the part. 

Any help on generating a smoother toolpath would be great, I am posting with Thermwoods post and don't see anything in the post that would change the output of the toolpath other than tangency factor (which i have set to 20 at 1-40) and acceleration (which i have set to g05 at g01-g09)

The toolpath already takes around 5 minutes to load in mastercam, so making the tolerance even smaller would be a pain, but is doable if that's what it takes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TksmPNQ7AYVUG1JzRJqLWS0X8_3ZtLgq/view?usp=sharing (operation 10)

Thanks,

Lucas

I prefer using the raster with tilt as I only need this to be a 5-ax operation when the holder comes close to the part.

I will try the multiax parallel but would really prefer to get this fixed. I do however, think it has to do with the post, not the toolpath in mastercam itself....

I can't look at anything in your toolpaths as I don't have a seat of router.  Anyway, parallel can do anything raster can and more.  My suggestion would be to create a line as your tool axis control, then setup collision control to tilt.  If you are getting excessive primary movement to allow the tilt, change your default tilt line so it you are slightly biased in the direction your primary is trying to move into.  With the collision control, you will be able to control more about when it decides to tilt or not vs what you can in raster.