Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Probing using MasterCam

Roecus

The company I work for runs Mastercam in the Mold shop and Gibbs in the Machine shop, they want to merge to one software package. And right now it looks like Gibbs is going to be it because it will program a probe to inspect the part on the machine. My question is, Will Mastercam program a probe? Its killing me to think that I might be running Gibbs, I've used it in the past and I hate the fact that it machines the way Gibbs thinks it should be done and not the way I think it should be done!!

You probably have probing macros that you call and pass a bunch of arguments to. Possibly you do this after you call the spindle probe and position it somewhere relative. You can modify or create some canned cycle to do it. It sounds like that is only going to be a small part of your problem. The biggest problem is going to be convincing the gibbs bigots in your shop to drop gibbs and learn mastercam. It would probably be easier to convert Arafat to Judaism. Good luck.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Metrolosys will do this. You can also create a custom canned cycle in MC and do it relatively easily.

I would rather put lit cigarettes in my eyes AND work for free than use Gibbs.

JM2C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Feel free Jimmy!!!! Use away.

See, to me software should be intuitive (You listening X Developers???) Mastercam is intuitive. I shoudl ba able to sit in front of it, look at it and if I know what the flow of things shoudl be, I shoudl eb able to stumble around a bit and get the hang of it. With gibbs, OMG, what a piece of crap. I fire it up and it makes absolutely no sense. Where do I start? WHat the heck is the "Body Bag" for??? Are we killing people with this stuff??? WT???? While I was at Mori, I had a conversation with Mr. Bill, he said "... you have to forget all you know about CAD and CAM..." that was enough for me to know that it's a piece of crap and those people that got sucked into buying such crap shoudl have their heads examined. I mean sheesh! Surfcam would have been a much better option, Edgecam... well Edgecam sucks too but at least I could fumble my away around it, but Gibbs...

Let me re-iterate, "I would rather put lit cigarettes in my eyes AND work for free than use GibbSCAM".

Fred, this what I thought it will not program the prob but check the code for the probe before it goes to the machine.

Varicut is in no way a gcode maker or should we say CAM system.

I remember them showing this to me when I spent the week of training at there office.

Thanks James I meant to say some thing about Metrolosys.

You will be able to see this at Westec.