Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT CPU Cooling Softwares

kwolf

I have a question about these kind of software.

Is it harmless to use them especially if I'm going to run MC?

I installed CPUIdle and it does a good job, the CPU temp drops by 7-8 C degress. smile.gif

I've been running different programs like SolidWorks/Rhino/Mastercam and all of them run fine. But I just want to be sure if it generates problems whether to hardware or softwares.

quote:

The CpuIdle Approach

Under normal circumstances the CPU isn't always active but spends much time waiting for the keyboard, harddisk or CD-ROM. What would be more logical than to turn off the CPU for that period? That's exactly what the HLT machine instruction (Opcode F4) does. Whenever the CPU encounters a HLT instruction the clock is halted and the CPU enters suspend mode until an interrupt, NMI, or reset happens. With the advent of power saving microprocessors like the Cyrix Cx486S the HLT instruction elicits an additional benefit. When "Suspend on HLT" is enabled in the configuration register the processor not only stops on HLT but also enters the power saving suspend mode

And if it's harmless to use then it's a must have utility for every PC especially for Athlons.

quote:

I'm using it in WINXP Pro SP1 and CPU temp is 7 C degrees less than it was before. Am I missing something?

Weird. Maybe your CPU was/wasn't doing something. It shouldn't make much of a difference with the NT kernel, unless it's forcing the CPU into an idle thread even more often than it usually does, which I'd be deathly affraid of eek.gif Unless the CPU temperature was dangerously high, I wouldn't want the idle thread to kick in at the wrong time. I'd rather spend the $20 or so on a better cooling setup.

From the CPUIdle website:

With the advent of power saving microprocessors like the Cyrix Cx486S the HLT instruction elicits an additional benefit.

Why are they still discussing 486s? It hasn't been 1996 for quite some time now. And IBM killed off the Cyrix brand of CPUs a while ago headscratch.gif

Also from the CPUIdle website:

While other operating systems like Linux always used this mechanism, Windows only learned it with NT. But even with NT and following versions it is only enabled when the BIOS and ACPI implementation is recognized by the OS.

It's been a long time since I haven't seen a version of Windows detect ACPI (look in the Device Manager under "Computer")...circa Windows 95, I think.

hmmm, I don't know what to say. The temp was 45C and now 37C. I tried it on three athlons 1600-1800-2200 and all of them run cooler.

Can the follwing be the answer?

quote:

Q: What is the difference between the three cooling options on the Athlon tab?

A: With the introduction of ACPI, several different power management states have been defined. Each of these states will send bigger parts of the system into sleep (and save more power), the highest level is reached when the system is physically switched of

Of the power management states defined by ACPI, two are of special interest to CpuIdle, namely S1 and C2. However, let's start with OS-Controlled state first:

OS-Controlled

In OS-controlled state CpuIdle's cooling loop will be disabled. Instead the OS will try to perform the cooling, if available. The benefit of using this mode with CpuIdle is that CpuIdle's chipset and CPU optimizations are still applied, but no additional thread is created.

S1 and C2

S1 and C2 modes are described in detail in the ACPI specification. While S1 mode is available on all systems (HLT is exectuted), C2 mode is only available on certain chipsets. CpuIdle will try to detect and enable C2 idling on the chipset. If not available, an error message will be displayed when selecting C2 mode.

If C2 mode is supported, more power savings can be gained than in S1 mode, possibly at the cost of slight performance degradation, as it would take the CPU/ PCI subsystem longer to wake up.

I always use OS controlled option.

BTW some manufacturers like MSI have special utility for cooling CPU on their nForce2 chipset mobos. I think they're using the same technique.

Thanks for the recommendation. smile.gif

Well I installed Thermal Take fan with copper core on the CPU and I think it is a good fan. The case has two fans and power supply has its own.

Anyway, am I the only one to use CPU cooling software here? Any BAD exprience ?